• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

I Bit a BIG Bullet

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Thursday Jun 29, 2006, 02:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

Well, I did it.  I got a Sharp 57" Aquos LCD for a space where it fits, beautifully.  My wife, of course, says it is too big, but it is growing on her at high speed (aquarium DVDs as "screen savers" does it!).

I'm proud to say that I self-installed the unit, made all the cables neat as a pin with proper lengths and cable ties, etc.

The screen is stunning.  I checked it out with D*s HD test program one can get once a week -- it is on my Tivo -- and everything is great.  I'm happy and broke as a clam!

Stan

gparris

Great, that set lists for about $16k, so I hope you DO enjoy it.
I have been wondering about the black-level, contrast and motion artifacts with so large an LCD flat panel display, but you seem to love it and that is what counts. ;)

Questions:
First, are you sitting about 2x the diagonal of the screen to get the benefits of HD/1080p?

Secondly, are you keeping the original 45" model in your master suite, perhaps?
Third, are you using another Directv HD box for that 45", too?
(you have to update your signature).

Thanks in advance....! :D

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: gparrisGreat, that set lists for about $16k, so I hope you DO enjoy it.
I have been wondering about the black-level, contrast and motion artifacts with so large an LCD flat panel display, but you seem to love it and that is what counts. ;)

Questions:
First, are you sitting about 2x the diagonal of the screen to get the benefits of HD/1080p?

Secondly, are you keeping the original 45" model in your master suite, perhaps?
Third, are you using another Directv HD box for that 45", too?
(you have to update your signature).

Thanks in advance....! :D

The set is in a fairly normal room -- not a pitch-dark home theatre, so my black levels look great (I know that plasma and tube blacks may be purer).  I see no artifacts, no individual pixels, etc., just a beautiful HD picture on, say Discovery's HD channel.

Our normal viewing distance is about 10 to 12 feet, so the screen is large, but it certainly is not like walking into a movie theatre.  And, yes, we're keeping the 45-inch Sharp, too.  It's being fed by a Samsung receiver, in a different room.  We're pleased with the results to this point, but I sure want to see D*'s new DVR/Media Center receiver, along with the rumored new dish and the large number of HD channels the array of satellites will deliver.  I like to be patient and think strategically, but D* is making me antsy.  This stuff should be out for use by now -- but, it isn't.  I'm also waiting for the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray battle to take shape as well.

gparris

Twice the diagonal is the standard distance I recommend for 720p sets and since  yours is a 1080p set, you won't get the full HT experience without being closer, but it is your call. :D
At 8-10 feet, the 57" inch diagonal with 1080p resolution is more immersive, but again,  that is your choice.
I have seen the set and it looks amazing and it is a great choice and with a normal (lighted) room, as you say, the LCD panel does not wash out as would other displays as LCDs are brighter.
What with the inconsistancy of SXRD panels out there reported by some of our forum members and other forums, too, the LCD panel could be the way to go, instead, although Sony has Bravia to 46" at 1080p.
1080p LCD panels look less grainy than the 768p models, too, but since Sony has had difficulty with other displays, my vote would switch to Sharp/Aquos for that reason, IMO.
Home Theater Magazine for August 2006 gave it a good rating of 87.
(It would have been higher if it was less expensive :eek: ).

Thanks for your reply. :wave:

My suggestion, as for feeding it a good signal, drop $499 (or $449 as BB has a 10% sale this weekend) and get the Toshiba HD DVD player for the best possible picture.

See how good your LCD panel really is ... you'll begin to hate your Directv HD signal,  if anything. ;)