• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

new DirecTV HR20-700

Started by denno, Saturday Sep 02, 2006, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denno

Just got an email from DTV that the HR20 is "available". Called to try to swap my HR10-250 but CSR said it's only available in LA for now. Posters on DBSTalk have reported variable success--anybody locally try yet?

smack

It is listed for lease on the bestbuy site for $399.  

I received the same email yesterday as well but have not tried to get it yet.

denno

please post if you are successful in getting it...

smack

This site DBS talk will probably keep you a little more informed on what is going on with this HD-DVR

DBS Talk

Then click on the DirecTV general HD section or the HR20 HD Faq section.

The HR-700 is the official name of the new HD-DVR.

I'll still post when I attempt to get it.

Milwaukee12

LA was the first city to be released in.  I guess they wanted to test it.  Also, D* lowered the prive from $399 to $299. (according to SateGuys)

Bebop

Even if it's available here, I'll hold it off until the OTA tuner is enabled.

I'll be more happy if they finally upgrade the current HD PVR to 6.3.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

denno

With HD Locals available, what's the advantage of sticking with OTA?

smack

Quote from: dennoWith HD Locals available, what's the advantage of sticking with OTA?

The picture quality via D* locals will be reduced due to compression when compared to OTA signals.  I also believe that all of the local channels will not be available initially.

gparris

Directv locals in HD are only available for FOX, NBC and ABC affiliates in Milwaukeeland...not CBS, a network with a great deal of HD programming.
Wiener Broadcasting is doing "its usual thing" to exploit this and not allowing carriage with CBS HD for now, as I understand it. :mad:
If memory serves correctly, when Directv was first doing standard locals awhile back, CBS58 was the last of the major networks to come on because of Weiner's way of doing business. :(

As for channels 18 (CW HD) and the 24 HD's 24-hour channel, My24, along with PBS HD, Directv has no plans for offering them as part of a "Total HD" local package as of yet.

Perhaps whenever the other 2 satellites go up next year and the balance of all HD locals for all available cities exists, the other 3 HD stations will come on line as is the situation with all other cities with HD locals.

As far as quality of signal, I have done setups in Milwaukeeland with OTA and Directv HD locals and cannot tell the difference between OTA and HD locals in quality, switching back and with the square shooter in place aiming at the antenna farm on a 48" Mits CRT RPTV. ;)

Matt Heebner

I also thought that this upgrade was supposed to happen at llittle or no cost to all HR10-250 owners but it seems that you still are going to have to put out some cash to "lease" the new DVR......
Just a question to all TWC customers...does TWC make you pay significant amounts of money to lease the equipment from them ??   :bang:

Matt

gparris

TWC subscribers are charged $7.95 for any cable box with remote.
At $299 (if its that) for a Directv HD DVR "lease", the payoff is about 3 years with TWC before DVR charges.
As for HD DVR charges, there is $7.95 additional charge per cable box so-equipped (Scientific Atlanta's model 8300HD HD DVR box).

So at $15.90 for TWC HD DVR box and HD DVR fee, the break even point is about 18 months...your choice.

If you just have the DVR box without Directv's Premier package to make it no charge for DVR service, the price is $6.95 (if I remember correctly) for one or as many DVR boxes you want.
Then just add $5.99 for each Directv box for "mirroring" fees after the first one.

FYI, if TWC comes out with another model like it did with the 8000HD to 8300HD box awhile ago, you just swap out at no charge, nothing to buy and if it malfunctions, you get free service and swapout.

Now, Directv also has a protection plan, too, but it seems to be not as fast in my clients' experience as a simple call with them (like TWC's) the same day or next-again, just my experience and theirs.

Hope this answers your question(s).:wave: