• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Pre-wiring House for DirecTV

Started by Tom Snyder, Thursday May 18, 2006, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazman

Netwurx wireless right now.  But like I mentioned in another thread, I have a big tree problem that is only going to get worse.  Along with the new subdivision going up behind me and to the west, those will be all 2 story homes.  That will kill my signal altogether.  As soon as ATT gets into my subdivision and does their final hookups of the new cable they buried, I'll have DSL.  Gonna get their Elite package which is slightly faster than the wireless is now and a whole heck of alot more reliable.

Joseph S

QuoteHere's the key. Have them run a 2-3" PVC pipe from your attic to the basement (in the center of the house is preferable). Makes it sooooooooooo easy to run it yourself afterwords.

Is this wide enough for:
RG6 Quad Shield X 3
plus
RG6 Quad Shield x 2 + Cat5 x 2

I'm looking to run attic to basement/rooms for OTA(Attic Antenna), CATV(QAM/Locals/Internet), and then 3 for DISHHD. Do I really need 3 RG6 lines for Satellite?  

QuoteAdding jacks to interior walls is extremely simple, and depending on how much the builder charges, you'll save a TON of money.
Any recommendations for Coax compression tools?

psubill78

Yeah, you should be fine.  I have a 2 1/2 inch, and I currently have 6 quad shield, and 4 ethernet... and there's room for more.

It helps to plan ahead, put as many thru as you time as you can pull - makes it easier.

This is the coax crimper I have : http://www.tselectronic.com/paladin/70014.html

Works fine with these connectors: http://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sns.html

I've bought a ton from that company..

Todd Wiedemann

Tom Snyder

ACK.. just ordered the crimper... now it SHOULD be really simple to find color coded compression RCA connectors for this puppy... I've spent an hour and I'll be darned if I can find them!    :bang:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

StarvingForHDTV

You can get a variety pack of about 8 colors of acrylic paint for 99 cents at crafts stores like Michaels.  They also sell cheap little brushes.  Look for the start up kits for beginning painters.  Acrylics can be applied to almost anything.

waterhead

Quote from: Tom SnyderACK.. just ordered the crimper... now it SHOULD be really simple to find color coded compression RCA connectors for this puppy... I've spent an hour and I'll be darned if I can find them!    :bang:

The connectors should be hidden behind the wall plate, so you won't see the color anyway.

But, if you still want to color code, colored heat shrink is available. Wire numbering stickers are also easy to find. Professional panel wirers use a system that prints the info onto a heat shrink type of tubing (too pricey?)

Paul