• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Anybody buy a HD-DVD player yet?

Started by sp44again, Thursday Jun 15, 2006, 03:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp44again

I got a good deal on the Toshiba and it was well worth it! It's like buying an HDTV for the 1st time again. The picture is way better than any compressed HBO-HD or SHO-HD that we get on sat or cable. Even old movies like Blazing Saddles looked great. The sharpness and color are just unbelievable. The player itself has already had 3 updates from Toshiba so they are on top of it. Probably because of the release of Blu-Ray coming soon. The icing on the cake is the ability to upconvert your DVD backups. I know a lot of people are waiting for the format war to go away but I think it will be awhile.

Ralph Kramden

I'm waiting to see if there's a winner, and they're still too expensive.

Bebop

Don't buy it, because it will make everything else you watch look like crap.

If anyone has  $1K to burn, Blu-ray is already at some Best Buy.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Ralph Kramden

$1,000 for a DVD player. What a joke.

gparris

Early adopters get higher prices and later these come down, along with an increase in - more features, faster loading, etc. :D

Thanks for any reviews on HD DVD and the future Blu-ray players in advance! :wave:

Many of the HT magazines are reviewing the new HD  DVD players and CNET just got a Blu-ray for review (more to come later)...read up. ;)

Static

I Got a HD-DVD player and I love it.  All I rent From Netflix is HD-DVDs now(no Extra charge). Do not understand why people want to pay twice the price for Blu-Ray when it can not possibly look or sound any better. :bang:

SRW1000

Quote from: StaticI Got a HD-DVD player and I love it.  All I rent From Netflix is HD-DVDs now(no Extra charge). Do not understand why people want to pay twice the price for Blu-Ray when it can not possibly look or sound any better. :bang:
Since each player will have exclusive titles, there will be plenty of people who want both.

I'm sitting on the sidelines until prices drop below $250 - $300.  Even though the quality is tempting, I'll wait for the first-generation bugs to be ironed out.

Being able to get the discs through Netflix at no extra charge is a really big incentive, though.  I foresee my actual disc buying dropping dramatically.

Scott

kevbeck122

I'm waiting for the XBOX 360 add on HD-DVD drive... hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Bebop

If anyone is interested. The Wal-mart on Hwy 100 and Layton still has 3 RCA brand HD DVD players in stock and they have a nice return policy.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Saw the HD DVD Toshiba player in action on a Pioneer 42" plasma.
While the plasma's picture was good, it just wasn't fantastic enough to grab me on that plasma and quality varied from movie to movie trailer. :D

IF Best Buy wanted to really showcase the HD DVD product, it should have put it on the 60" SXRD set on an endcap, instead. :(

Best Buy came up short on display this time to showcase this new HD technology.
Maybe when they can do a BD and HD DVD setup, it will be better.