• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDCP Dead?

Started by picopir8, Saturday Jun 17, 2006, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

Microsoft announced that it will not be including a HDMI connection/cable with its HD-DVD player and Sony announced that the base PS3 will not have HDMI.  Now also consider all the people who were early adopter and dont have an HDMI port on their TVs and it looks like there will be a huge number of people who wont have a HDMI connection between their player and their TV.  If HDCP is implemented, a lot of people are going to be ticked off because their player wont play the movies.  That will most definately result in a huge class action lawsuit.  So is it dead?  If the xbox 360 and PS3 dont have to have HDMI then will non-HDMI standalone players be made available for those who dont have HDMI ports on their TVs?

Even if it is implemented, hopefully somone will get their hands on 40 vectors. :-)
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1005

Mark Strube

I don't understand... if Microsoft isn't including an HDMI connection, then it would have to output full-res thru component, right? Or are you saying it just won't include an HDMI cable.... which is the case for pretty much every piece of HDMI hardware so far?

Bebop

When HDMI is implemented in future for Blu-ray or HD DVD releases. People can still watch movies on their old sets, but just not at full resolution.

I don't see why there will be any lawsuits? It's like when color broadcasts first came out and people with B&W sets complaining.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Mark Strube

Their precious HDCP isn't going to help with anything anyways, just like Macrovision on DVD's stopped nobody but the occasional person who wanted to transfer to VHS. This isn't stopping the serious pirates, which is their main target in the first place... all they're doing is furthering the frustration of their customers. HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray isn't going to make it on early adopters alone.

picopir8

Quote from: BebopI don't see why there will be any lawsuits? It's like when color broadcasts first came out and people with B&W sets complaining.

The two scenarios have nothing in common.  HDTVs w/o HDMI, the 360 HD-DVD player, and the PS3 are capable of showing movies in HD but HDCP will prevent this . Its more like buying a color TV and then having it only show b/w movies from your VCR unless you had a special connector.  And heck in the past if you didnt have the right connector you could buy an adapter.  But HDMI adapters are illegal under the DMCA.

Bebop

Quote from: picopir8The two scenarios have nothing in common.  HDTVs w/o HDMI, the 360 HD-DVD player, and the PS3 are capable of showing movies in HD but HDCP will prevent this . Its more like buying a color TV and then having it only show b/w movies from your VCR unless you had a special connector.  And heck in the past if you didnt have the right connector you could buy an adapter.  But HDMI adapters are illegal under the DMCA.

Maybe my analogy is off. But I still don't see why people with older technology will any base to sue?

Actually, it's TVs without HDCP, There are TVs with DVI will only needed a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

Where did you hear that Microsoft won't be making an HDMI cable?  Last I heard is that they aren't confirming or denying that they'll have one.  There's a site offering it for sale once it comes out.

Also with the PS3.. people are just going to have to buy the premium version to watch blu ray movies in full HD (if they implement the resolution flag).  Sony has announced that HD movies will function up to 1080i over component and they don't plan to change that.

TPK

Quote from: BebopMaybe my analogy is off. But I still don't see why people with older technology will any base to sue?

Actually, it's TVs without HDCP, There are TVs with DVI will only needed a HDMI to DVI adapter.

The basis of the lawsuit would be if people purchase the expensive DVD player with the words "high definition" and "1080i" written all over the box, without the knowledge that they were going to be down-rezzed below that spec due to their component connection, expecting to get high definition video on their high definition television sets that they purchased...

If down-rezzing is going to be the standard, either the devices would have to be released without component outputs at all (make it a requirement that you have HDMI), or it will have to be very clearly marked on the box somewhere that using the component video as output may result in less than 1080i performance..

Kinda like how we used to have 56k modems, but every advertisement and every box had to carry a label saying something like "due to FCC regulations, this device will not operate above 53k" etc..  (Remeber those days?)

Bebop

Quote from: TPKThe basis of the lawsuit would be if people purchase the expensive DVD player with the words "high definition" and "1080i" written all over the box, without the knowledge that they were going to be down-rezzed below that spec due to their component connection, expecting to get high definition video on their high definition television sets that they purchased...

If down-rezzing is going to be the standard, either the devices would have to be released without component outputs at all (make it a requirement that you have HDMI), or it will have to be very clearly marked on the box somewhere that using the component video as output may result in less than 1080i performance..

Kinda like how we used to have 56k modems, but every advertisement and every box had to carry a label saying something like "due to FCC regulations, this device will not operate above 53k" etc..  (Remeber those days?)

I'm sure that what they will do with legalese in the owner's manual and/or fine prints on the box..

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun