• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Software For 8300

Started by RS922, Tuesday May 09, 2006, 02:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: Paul S.Im having major HDMI issues now, too. Thanks, buttholes.

Thanks Paul S....I thought I was the only one! :D

My new 60" SXRD was working fine with the old programming for the 8300HD with HDMI cabling until this TWC "disaster" occurred. :mad:

Today or tomorrow I am taking out the HDMI cabling from my DVR and reinserting the good component cabling I had used before with my 48" Mits HDTV set that had no DVI or HDMI (that I sold for a good price recently).
I will keep the HDMI hooked up to the set, just not hook it up to the DVR until TWC (ever) fixes this mess.

The only problem now, of course, is calibrating the component input on the SXRD.
I had it just right on input #6 - now I will have to read up what is the optimal setting(s) for component inputs on it....just great...UGH! :bang:

Paul S.

Quote from: gparrisThanks Paul S....I thought I was the only one! :D

My new 60" SXRD was working fine with the old programming for the 8300HD with HDMI cabling until this TWC "disaster" occurred. :mad:

Today or tomorrow I am taking out the HDMI cabling from my DVR and reinserting the good component cabling I had used before with my 48" Mits HDTV set that had no DVI or HDMI (that I sold for a good price recently).
I will keep the HDMI hooked up to the set, just not hook it up to the DVR until TWC (ever) fixes this mess.

The only problem now, of course, is calibrating the component input on the SXRD.
I had it just right on input #6 - now I will have to read up what is the optimal setting(s) for component inputs on it....just great...UGH! :bang:

The only way to fix it for me is to turn to an HD channel when I dont have a picture. It adjusts itself and then shows a pic.

Mark Strube

I just can't believe this "update." It's as if they did absolutely NO beta testing and just threw it out there, deciding to address its many issues as they happen. I thought they did a lot of testing, considering how long it is between software updates... I guess not.

gparris

Quote from: Paul S.The only way to fix it for me is to turn to an HD channel when I dont have a picture. It adjusts itself and then shows a pic.

BUT...I had the box setup to channel 541 for the power-on channel and that did not do the trick last time.  :(
I ended up trying to change to channel to something else (another HD channel) and it rebooted.
Then to add to the aggravation, it messed up the aspect ratios on the non HD channels (it forgot the settings).

So far, the Monster-3 component cabling (had lying around) I am using on Component Input #5 on the set is working well.

Note1: When you swapout the cabling from HDMI to component, leave your box and set off to avoid any (more) problems.
Then reboot the box or you will not get any picture at all, even with component cabling installed...happened to me. :mad:
Note 2: The box forgets the programming data on it until you switch channels.
I leave the box on all the time and I re-did my settings on the SXRD in "Pro" mode...fine for now. ;)

gparris

Quote from: Mark StrubeI just can't believe this "update." It's as if they did absolutely NO beta testing and just threw it out there, deciding to address its many issues as they happen. I thought they did a lot of testing, considering how long it is between software updates... I guess not.

You will notice, what with the many box reboots, as you battle with it, that the name
 (as the little now-elogated dots cross the screen during boot up) is changed.

It now says some other company's logo other than Pioneer, still echo, just different and not in a good way, either.

We are just the test subjects on this new programming for these boxes, unfortunately.

gparris

Another odd thing last night with the new programming, unless it had happened before:
Recording one HD channel, if you start playing the programming back and it continues to record another show on the same channel, even after it is done with the recording, you get a reboot with the box if you plan on keeping the first recording or not after you hit the A or B buttons.
The screen goes blank, you lose control of the box and then it reboots.
After rebooting, the box goes to the power on channel you selected in the setup menu, but forgets the information about that channel, naming it channel zero.
PIP shows channel zero with a notice to call the cable company, really wierd.
Once you go to another channel (I use the grid) and go back again, all is okay.

I suggest leaving the programming recording all by itself, moving to another channel altogether and then playing the recorded programming, otherwise you might find yourself in the rebooting situation I found myself in.
This was with component cabling, not HDMI, directly to the HDTV set, too, if that helps (re: past reports with HDMI). :D

Vindi

Has anyone tried running the HDMI through a denon reciever (3806) after the new software?  I tried this late last year and it wouldn't work.  Just wondering if the new software fixed this or not?

gparris

Vindi: What could hurt it if you did try it? :blush:

I don't advise anyone to get the HDMI AVRs and use them like that unless they hook the 8300HD to the AVR using component connections.
Then if an upscaling DVD player is used with HDMI, hook that up to the AVR, then the HDMI to the HDTV...one line to the HDTV set. ;)
The setup still uses optical or coaxial digital audio separately to the AVR to get the DD5.1 sound if there HT room is set up that way (with 5.1 or better speaker arrangements).

Vindi

Quote from: gparrisVindi: What could hurt it if you did try it? :blush:

I don't advise anyone to get the HDMI AVRs and use them like that unless they hook the 8300HD to the AVR using component connections.
Then if an upscaling DVD player is used with HDMI, hook that up to the AVR, then the HDMI to the HDTV...one line to the HDTV set. ;)
The setup still uses optical or coaxial digital audio separately to the AVR to get the DD5.1 sound if there HT room is set up that way (with 5.1 or better speaker arrangements).

I have my DVD running through the AVR with HDMI.  It does not need any other connection for audio.  HDMI bring the 5.1 audio as well as video.  My 8300 is running to the AVR with component right now because when I set it up I tried the HDMI and it didn't work through the AVR.  It has to do with the HDCP.  It's a well know issue with the 8300 boxes and HDMI switching AVR's.  

I was hoping that someone had tried it after the new software so I could avoid pulling out the tv stand to test it.

gparris

Nice to know your AVR-3806 does the DD5.1 passthru directly to from the DVD player-which DVD player are you using?
As far as pulling the TV stand out and reconnecting for trial, I have a roller stand made for my HDTVs on the their manufacturers' stands so it is easy to get behind them...the carpenter I use is amazing.
If you do decide to do it, let us know and if I find anyone who has done it before you, I will post.
HDMI in times two (DVD and HD DVR) into the AVR and once out to the HDTV...what great thing that would be! ;)

gparris

Last night I had TWC channel 504 to record on a series pass and it jammed up, did not record it at all, ended up in a "loop" with a show I cannot even figure out, yet all the while it showed it was in record mode...very weird.

The first hour showed it recorded one minute and it stopped.

The second hour (same channel) it was stuck on that loop, yet continued with the record light as if all was well.
Paranoid since the HDMI mess, is the only reason why I checked on this to begin with, glad I did, otherwise I couldn't have got anything recorded (last 40 minutes).

Shifting to other channels (505)  recording worked on those channels, but only with a reboot did the box actually allow that (504) channel to record, which it did...again, very weird and awful.

BTW, I had left the box on with the component-only box, not the HDMI ones, so this further is confusing.

The HDMI-hooked up ones (left these like this until last night) acted the same way, only worse, as I couldn't get to any other channels without rebooting the boxes (no channel flipping up or down worked) and just got the preselected  power-on channel (541) without of course, picture, only sound, again.

TWC: Fix it now, please-or go back to the old programming, this sucks! :mad:
I guess turning off the box each night and using component cabling is the "new upgrade", huh, TWC? :OnAir:

In the avsforum, the Ohio region users are complaining now, too, about HDMI not doing the handshake anymore with this 8300HD box and its new programming.
It just isn't our Milwaukee region, anymore!

Vindi

Quote from: gparrisNice to know your AVR-3806 does the DD5.1 passthru directly to from the DVD player-which DVD player are you using?
As far as pulling the TV stand out and reconnecting for trial, I have a roller stand made for my HDTVs on the their manufacturers' stands so it is easy to get behind them...the carpenter I use is amazing.
If you do decide to do it, let us know and if I find anyone who has done it before you, I will post.
HDMI in times two (DVD and HD DVR) into the AVR and once out to the HDTV...what great thing that would be! ;)

I'm using a denon 1920 DVD.  The AVR will not passthru the sound to the TV over HDMI if that is what you mean.  I don't ever use the TV speaker anyway so it does not matter.

I have a custom made stand too.  A friend of mine built it.  It looks great.  Didn't put rollers on it though.

Can you post a pic of yours?  I would like to see what it looks like.

gparris

Quote from: VindiI'm using a denon 1920 DVD.  The AVR will not passthru the sound to the TV over HDMI if that is what you mean.  I don't ever use the TV speaker anyway so it does not matter.

I have a custom made stand too.  A friend of mine built it.  It looks great.  Didn't put rollers on it though.

Can you post a pic of yours?  I would like to see what it looks like.

No, I meant you don't have to do anything else except take the HDMI cabling from the Denon DVD-1920 player directly to your AVR-3806 to get DD5.1 surround sound without anymore cabling.
I figured you only use the HDTV as a display device, like many of us do.

As for pictures, I have given up trying to post them in this forum (no "gallery").
I did, however, post my entire 3 HT setups in the HDTVoice.com  forum
(link on main page of this forum) in their "gallery".

Paul S.

Quote from: gparrisNo, I meant you don't have to do anything else except take the HDMI cabling from the Denon DVD-1920 player directly to your AVR-3806 to get DD5.1 surround sound without anymore cabling.
I figured you only use the HDTV as a display device, like many of us do.

As for pictures, I have given up trying to post them in this forum (no "gallery").
I did, however, post my entire 3 HT setups in the HDTVoice.com  forum
(link on main page of this forum) in their "gallery".

I'll hpost 'em for ya.

mhz40

A patch was downloaded to all DVR's this morning.  It's basically all bug fixes... no feature changes.
Some of you who had to abandon your DVI connection following the previous 'upgrade' may want to try your original lash-ups again.  I'm not promising anything, or even suggesting a DVI 'fix' is in this patch.  All I know is the code has changed on the DVR's and bug fixes were the primary driver for the newest release.