• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Programming a TV station is NOT EASY!!!

Started by John L, Friday Apr 07, 2006, 11:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John L

Muskego's Public Access Channel has replaced their broadcast equipment by adding a digital video server.  I've been having fun with having to copy tapes on the the server's hard drive system.  Now 3 weeks into the programming, I thought I was accumlating some files in the main system directory after having to add them to another resource library.  Apparently when I deleted the files from the storage manager it wiped out the files in the resource library as well.  Therefore about 6 hours of recording was wiped out.  I have to look at it this way, since the equipment is new and we only have VERY LITTLE that was loaded on the system, it could have been worse.  At least it is figured out what I did wrong before getting too carried away with adding more stuff to it.

Surely the manual is no big help either!

I am sure TV stations who still screw up their DTV signal are also still learning how to use the new equipment before they shut down their analog and have to rely fully on their DTV signals.  It takes time.  I'm sure they will get the HD and multiple channel thing worked out.  I hope they do as I hope to see more stations offer at least 1 SD channel along with there HD signal.  I'd like to see WITI 6-2 offer independent programming airing reruns of syndicated programming like the old channel 18 days.  Why I chose WITI?  Because they seem to enjoy having independent programming and not always be affiliated with a network.  But surely the only way to get rights to most Packer games would be to affiliate with the network who provides that.  One of the reasons ch. 6 dumped CBS for Fox.  Afterall who cares about the Bucks and the Brewers? Most people recognize and perfer Green Bay Packers Football.

-John L.