• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sony DHG-HDD500 and TWC Cablecard not working

Started by mikeal21, Friday Mar 24, 2006, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeal21

So I bought a DVR, got it for the Guide, Cablecard, DVR capabilities. It's a very nice unit records masterfully, in HD also. Guide is nice although a bit cumbersome to setup. The problem I'm having is getting the cablecard to work, it doesn't get HD package and Starz for me, they freeze up. I've had the unit updated by Sony as it also gave an error code. If anyone has also had problems or has a unit that hasn't had any problems let me know. I'd like to get this thing to work, it has good potential. Nice picture also.

Mark Strube

What advantages does this have over TWC's DVR service (besides lower monthly fee)?

mikeal21

Havn't compared picture, but its better than regular cable box. Has over the air receiver also. Hdmi output, don't know if TWC DVR has or not. Uses free over air TV Guide for recording to 500gb hard drive. Can down convert to s-video if I want to use with dvd+r. But mostly cost $450+$1.75 per month as opposed towhat $14.95 a month forever??? How much is that? More than I want to spend, I think. Does great HD recording put down some Idol for reference very good...

Den Mayer

What TWC Set Top Box do you have  ??

In what 'box'  is your digital Cable QAM tuner located ?

Mark Strube

Sounds like a nice box, I'd love to know if you get it working right with TWC. Does it get a guide for the cable channels?

mikeal21

Sorry it took so long but, I'm a truck driver and long hours are followed by sleep. TWC came over despite thinking it wasn't cablecard, he was just covering the bases. And low and behold everything started working, just like Sony said it would. He was surprised, I wasn't as much. The 161-1 error may have knocked out previous cablecards, too bad. New one works great. Cablebox goes back today, my wife likes the clock, bigger than Sony box. But I'm not worried about that.
The cable box is a newer one, Atlanta Scientific Explorer 3250HD. Works good better than old one, also A.S., it would pop and reset alot on local HD programs.
So I went to Sony DHG-HDD500, is it better than TWC DVR? Cost wise yes a lot, after spending $450, I think I found them (out of curiosty) for $250. But only in Illinois, at a place called Tweeters. Too bad, I felt like going there and buying out the store because there still selling for about $500 on ebay. Tweeters is only in about half of US, and everywhere else they cost over $600 or more.
Back too subject... Cost Good! Function a bit less, picture is very good, but is it better than TWC??? That would be subjective, I think Maybe? Yes it has on screen TV Guide that can be used to set reminders, and record. Can watch a program while recording. But no PIP, Sony came up a little short there and elsewhere. No last channel also, don't like that. TV guide takes a day to set-up, if you lose power. It takes a day to set-up. Also you lose your channel line up. That is a bear to set-up. It shows so many channels Milw., Chicago, Rockford, & G.B.. For overair signal. That the list ends up being 400 plus channels. Kind of in alphabetical order. The good news is you can set them to show in the order you choose. But they'll get lost with poweroutage, I've got a computer backup hooked to entertainment center. Then if power goes out for a little, I'll get through it uninterupted. I think I can go 1 hour/  Ultra 1000 VA 600 WATTS UPS $93 @ Tigerdirect. More if everything is off. Actually a good idea for projection screen TV's, which I have.
Back to Sony DVR, switching channels takes longer. Because it auto adjustes to resolution output. If your going from regular channel 480p, to FoxHD 720i, to INHD 1080i. The HDMI will auto adjust, or there are spacific parameters you can set it to. They say the channels will switch faster, but I don't see that. I'll keep it auto.
Its nice I like it fine, it's a cost thing for me. I just wanna stick it to the MAN. If enough people were of that mindset, maybe the TWC overpriced services would go down.
As for renting TWC DVR it has advantages I don't.
1...BETTER TV GUIDE
2...Picture in picture
3...Renting is 100% coverage. If your box isn't working take it back.
4...On demand, I don't get it. But the TWC man said "they (Milwakee market) will be one of the first to test market 2 way cablecards". That will do on demand, I think he said that will be soon. I'm not worried about that though.
There are a lot of things to consider. I'm happy with what I have though.
If I had my money back, I'd find a cheaper one and be "happier with that"
Works great, does what I want,, now whith upgrade.
More questions, ask. It may take a while though, as I'm gone from time to time. Thats why I wanted DVR.