• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SA8300HD series manager issues

Started by chris.matte, Wednesday Feb 15, 2006, 12:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.matte

Hi guys,
I have a (small) problem with how the series manager schedules recordings based on the "rules" I set up. Here's what I'm trying to do..I would like to record, say, Law & Order:CI. They play about a thousand times a week on a couple different channels at all different times. I haven't seen many of them, so I don't care if they are repeats or first runs. I also don't care when it records. I just want to keep only one on the DVR, and when we watch that one, have it record the next one that is on (and not conflicting with anything else). I set it to repeats and first run, any time, any channel, keep until I delete, and keep only 1. I also set it at the bottom of my priority list. This worked perfectly on my old Directivo, but the 8300 seems to ignore the keep only 1 rule. Instead it goes ahead and schedules to record a bunch of episodes, all over the guide. Am I doing something wrong that it won't record just one, or is this just one of the 8300's little quirks? There are a few shows I'd like to record in this manner, so hopefully I am just missing something.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Chris

klwillis45

I think "Keep until I delete" is overriding  the "Keep only 1"

chris.matte

Well that would be kind of silly.  Hopefully they will fix this some day.  Oh well.  I can deal with a minor issue like that for all of the good things about it.  My work around has been the "Record at 10pm Only" setting, which keeps it at 2 or so a week, which is about all we'd have time to watch anyway.  It's easy enough to delete them out of the list or scheduled recordings list if it gets unruly.  The other shows I like to watch in this way do not play nearly as much, so it's not a big deal.  

This is one of the handfull of places the Tivo boxes have an advantage I guess.  In some areas the 8300 kicks Tivo's butt though.  I really prefer the layout and user interface of the 8300 in many ways.  At first I found the A,B,C buttons a little clunky to use, but after a couple days with them, I love them.  I love having the recorded shows, scheduled shows, and series manager at the touch of a button off the DVR menu, and the same with the guide, search, and themes all off us the guide page.  So much easier than digging through the Tivo menus for them.  At least in my opinion.  I miss the blips though...and the jump back when fast forwarding was much better on Tivo...so far I can't hit the start back from a commercial break to save my life!

klwillis45

It probably doesn't help that TWC doesn't use SA's software. Oh well.

The thing I want them to fix is when you start watching a recorded program before it has ended,  resume playback is unavailable.

Keeping practicing you fast forward jump back skills, you'll get it  :cool:

Mark Strube

Something I'd like to see changed... if you're watching a show while it's being recorded, and you hit the LIVE button, I think it should jump into either the actual live unbuffered video, or if that's impossible, if it's not recording anything else at the time... jump to the other tuner live.

chris.matte

From everything I read, I'm kind of glad we have Passport software, not SARA, unless it's improved a lot from the early posts I read.  

LOL...yea...I'm starting to think you need to be a freakin Jedi to hit the FF jump back right!   :D   I have found that using the middle speed works better for me, and is pretty much just as fast as Tivo's fastest speed.  The 8300s fastest speed is impossible to hit...at least for me!     :eek:  

Quote from: klwillis45It probably doesn't help that TWC doesn't use SA's software. Oh well.

The thing I want them to fix is when you start watching a recorded program before it has ended,  resume playback is unavailable.

Keeping practicing you fast forward jump back skills, you'll get it  :cool: