• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Spamming

Started by Paul S., Saturday Jan 07, 2006, 07:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

Whats with the spam we've been getting? Like the ipod offer and the other threads like that (that I think were deleted)?

Tom Snyder

This stuff is EVERYWHERE! My company manages a lot of sites and we're constantly having to deal with spam posts in all the public forums and guest books. It's a lot worse in the ones where registration isn't required.

In addition, fill-in "contact us" inquiry forms produce hundreds of junk submissions  for all our clients, too.

Fortunately here at HDTV, we have enough moderators so that spam posts don't stay here very long... and we permanently ban the users who post them. If you ever see one that we haven't killed yet, feel free to email or PM me...

P.S. The Ipod one is gone, and that user has been banned for life.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Snard

Quote from: Tom SnyderThis stuff is EVERYWHERE! My company manages a lot of sites and we're constantly having to deal with spam posts in all the public forums and guest books. It's a lot worse in the ones where registration isn't required.

In addition, fill-in "contact us" inquiry forms produce hundreds of junk submissions  for all our clients, too.

Fortunately here at HDTV, we have enough moderators so that spam posts don't stay here very long... and we permanently ban the users who post them. If you ever see one that we haven't killed yet, feel free to email or PM me...

P.S. The Ipod one is gone, and that user has been banned for life.

I've noticed some forums and blogs are now using the "graphic text" confirmation boxes (there's a fancy name for them, that escapes me at the moment; you know the ones I mean, they have swirly letters on a textured background, that people can recognize but that programs [currently] can't). I'm glad you haven't had to resort to something like that here. Yet.
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

Tom Snyder

This software has that option.. not sure but it may even exist for new registrations since our last upgrade. But I can't see us ever turning it on for posts.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org