• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Toyota Camry question

Started by Ralph Kramden, Tuesday Dec 20, 2005, 07:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

My wife's 1990 Camry started doing this a couple days ago: After she turns the ignition off and removes the key, the "chirping" type sound continues even after she shuts the door. What could be the cause of this? I don't want her to wind up with the battery dead somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks.

dj1111

My daughter has a '90 Camry.  I am her primary mechanic, but I've never run into the symptom you describe.  A great resource is...

AutomotiveForums.com  :wave:

Audio Gnut

If you cant fix it try taking it to Import Minded. They have 2 locations. The north side location is on N. 76th Street and Bradley, on the Northwest corner of that intersection in a small strip mall. They are Honda/Toyota experts and have very reasonable prices. They always give you an estimate and I have never paid more than the estimate. I did compare them to the local Honda dealer and it was 50% cheaper. I dont have their number handy, but they are in the yellow pages.

murdoc

Quote from: Ralph KramdenMy wife's 1990 Camry started doing this a couple days ago: After she turns the ignition off and removes the key, the "chirping" type sound continues even after she shuts the door. What could be the cause of this? I don't want her to wind up with the battery dead somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well as an ASE certified mechanic and former Toyota/Lexus employee, I will see what I can do.  What exactly is this "chirping" sound you refer to?  Is it the sound made when the key is in the ignition and the door is open?  If so, check and see if the domelight stays on as well.  Make sure the domelight switch is set to ON with the doors open.  Older Camrys have had bad luck with the door sensors.  If the domelight is on, I would look into getting the sensor replaced.  For now, make sure you switch the domelight to full off, as this will save your battery.  Also check and make sure the headlights are turned off, as this will make the noise when the door is opened and car is off.

If the domelight is off, I need more information as to when the chirping sound happens.  It happens when the key is out and door is open or closed correct?  I'm assuming it happens with the key in the ignition and door open.  Does it happen key in, door closed?  Does it happen with the car running and door open or closed?  Without knowing much more I could guess the contacts in the ignition switch itself might be going.  This is a PITA to do as it requires drilling to remove the actual ignition switch.  Also the new swtich comes with new keys so your old keys will not work.  So you can either use one key to get into the car and another key to start the car, or you can take it to a certain locksmith, and they can recode the ignition switch to use the old keys.  The easiest (and cheapest) fix would be to remove the noise maker.

The thing that makes  the noise (curtiousy sensor I believe), is located under the driver's dashboard, above or near the pedals.  To get to the sensor, just remove the lower kick panel.  You can remove this quite easily with a phillips screwdriver and possibly a 10mm socket and wrench.  The sensor is nothing more than a (I believe for that year) black box with a tiny speaker in it.  It may be jammed up towards the top of the dashboard, so I hope your flexible enough to get at it.  It should be secured to the car with a phillips or 10mm bolt.  You can remove the sensor, and disconnect the wiring clip from it with no ill effects.  Should take less than 10 minutes total.  Be advised, that if you DO accidently leave the keys in the ignition, it will no longer alert you, as this sensor is now gone.  

Here's a picture that will hopefully clarify things.  It's not the same car, but it should work.