• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC SA8300 and HP 1080p tv

Started by sarusk, Saturday Dec 17, 2005, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarusk

Sound and Vision gives the HP md5880n a very favorable review, comparing it to the $13,000 Sony Qualia, however it's not without issue. The following disturbs me and I wonder if anyone here can speak to it:

The set also failed to play nice with the digital video output on our Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box. Despite the HP's being copyright compliant, the box didn't see it as such, shut down its HDMI output, and issued an onscreen error message. We've encountered this now on several HDTVs when using different samples of the 8300HD in different locales, and it appears to be an issue either with the box or with local cable providers.

The complete can be found here:Sound and vision review of HP 1080p set

Scott

kevbeck122

HDMI is in its early stages and is still buggy.  I got the same message all the time with my first 8300HD.  HDMI is a two way communication between the devices, some talk better with each other than others.  I'm not even sure cable companies support the output yet.

mrmike

It's not so much buggy as it is intolerant.  Each chipset vendor has interpreted the standard slightly differently.  Given the enormous legal ramifications for failing to properly block a non-compliant display device, they have chosen to err on the side of sucking^H^H^H^H^H^H^H caution.