• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Picture from TWC HD DVR on regular set?

Started by dickalp, Thursday Dec 08, 2005, 09:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickalp

I have the 8300 from TWC right now.  NOT the HD version.  They have told me that I wouldn't be able to see the HD channels on my non HD set if I had an HD DVR.  I used to love to bring in the HD channels over the air when I had DirecTV and my external antenna.  Just to see the difference and perhaps watch a show in 16:9.

Is this true that it wouldn't even show up on my screen?

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: dickalpI have the 8300 from TWC right now.  NOT the HD version.  They have told me that I wouldn't be able to see the HD channels on my non HD set if I had an HD DVR.  I used to love to bring in the HD channels over the air when I had DirecTV and my external antenna.  Just to see the difference and perhaps watch a show in 16:9.

Is this true that it wouldn't even show up on my screen?
The 8300 is the HD DVR and you can output and watch any of the HD programming to a non-hd set with that unit.  I have mine feeding my HD set but the SD outputs (which are active all the time) feed a 2.4 Ghz transmitter that send that feed to my other SD sets that don't have the Digital boxes on them.

And the only drawback is on a 4:3 set you will see all the hd programming in letterbox.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Andrew Grall

Quote from: Gregg LenglingThe 8300 is the HD DVR and you can output and watch any of the HD programming to a non-hd set with that unit.  I have mine feeding my HD set but the SD outputs (which are active all the time) feed a 2.4 Ghz transmitter that send that feed to my other SD sets that don't have the Digital boxes on them.

And the only drawback is on a 4:3 set you will see all the hd programming in letterbox.
Very interesting... I have been thinking of switching to D* sometime, but with 5 TV's, I didn't want to be paying extra for converters...

Can you give more details on this transmitter?

Tom Snyder

The wireless transmission is cool... we feed a digital signal from our bedroom to a small tv in the master bathroom so the same thing is on both sets without having separate boxes and cables.

The problem is, one of our neighbors frequently fires something up in their home (clothes dryer? Wirelss Phone? Wireless tranmitter of their own?) that renders my signal unusable.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

klwillis45

Old, crappy microwave??

One of my buddes has one that craps out his 2.4 Ghz cordless phone when he fires it up. He catches all kinds of crap for still using that thing. :D

Tom Snyder

The interference starts with a few hiccups, then goes for a half hour or so at a time...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

RS922

The model 8300 DVR does come in 2 flavors...the popular 8300HD and the 8300SD.  The 8300 HD has a composite video out that is active at all times; this output can be used to see the HD local stations on a standard definition tv, vcr or DVD recorder.

Mark Strube

The 8300HD DVR has Composite (rca), S-Video, and Coax outputs that are active at all times, and will work with any standard definition television set.