News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New To Wisconsin, Need HDTV Help

Started by svtdougie, Monday Nov 28, 2005, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svtdougie

I have just moved from Pittsburgh to Germantown, WI.  Time Warner cable seems a little pricey, around 110/month for 2 HD PVR's, HD pack, and HBO.  

I am debating about getting the HD only pack from Dish networks for 10/month but need to know how good the OTA HD is in Germantown, WI.  I am up on a hill in the Treetops community with no obstructions.

Does the weather affect the signal here really bad?  

What else do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Doug

Gregg Lengling

TWC can be pricey but if you bundle (add Road Runner and Digital Phone, theirs is really good), you can save yourself some bucks.  As to OTA you shouldn't have a problem at all with the locals.  All the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS) are all running high power and WB and UPN are running lower power but you shouldn't have a problem with them.

PS...if you are in TreeTops I have a salesman who works for me that also lives there......

Welcome to the area.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

svtdougie

Thanks.  TWC bundled price for all was $180 with taxes.

Do you think I can get away with a hidden indoor antenna or will i have to go roof top?

Gregg Lengling

You should be okay with an Attic antenna, if you try some rabbit ears and you get a picture (except for some fading ect from movement in the house) you should get an excellent signal in the attic.

(ps working for Rockwell, eh???)
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

svtdougie

yep, how did you know?

might be hard to route the antenna attic coax down to the box?

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: svtdougieyep, how did you know?

might be hard to route the antenna attic coax down to the box?

Actually it isn't too hard to route down from attic.....do it all the time.

Go to who's on line of the main page of the forums and look at the connections of users on line.......
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Tom Snyder

My Radio Shack Double Bowtie gets 90% plus signal strengths for all the locals right in my living room, and I'm nearly out in Hubertus...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Paul S.

SVT...you must own a Cobra or Lightning.

svtdougie

ok, got a couple things going on.

1.  I used to own an SVT Contour, my first car. just kept my screen names the same.  It was a great car.  Have a Crossfire now not sure how it will fair in Milwaukee winters!

2.  Bought a temp. LG HDTV LCD, OTA tuner, and antenna.  the tuner was broken so I could only get regular programming with a Terk5 amplified antenna.  I was able to get cbs, abc, nbc, fox, pbs, wb, and some spanish, qvc type stuff.  I did have to move the antenna to get better reception on NBC/ABC.

Does the HD go out or satellite go out with wind/rain/snow storms here?

Thanks

i guess i should mention i am getting the first month just from TWC for the time being until i can get some of these issues worked out.  my real theatre will be delivered between dec. 13 - 15.  my problem now is i ave 2 hd theatres and only 1 room available now.  nothing like buying a new house and getting started on the basement for dedicated theatre.

Tom Snyder

Rain and snow don't effect your signal, but the cold does... We can't get any TV here in Wisconsin all Winter. You should be losing your picture any day now, but don't worry... it will be back in April!  :rofl:

Just kidding!

One tip... if you get a dish, be sure to mount it somewhere you can reach to brush the snow off. Mine is pole mounted right outside a window, so when the snow piles up on it and my signal dissappears, I don't even have to go outside... just open the window with a little had held broom.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

svtdougie

Thanks for the tip, I see you are in Germantown, how close to treetops are you?

what kind of setup do you run?