News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any way to record off DVR

Started by pdtricn, Monday Nov 21, 2005, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

I format & reinstall Windows XP a couple times a year, generally. And I'm using my own installation, not the one that came with my HP. I have 3 hard drives (400gb internal, 160gb internal, 160gb external firewire) that become very handy when this time comes around. It's as simple as Windows becoming unstable with these complex operations... once I tried doing a fresh XP install, updating the drivers, and then installing & editing using Premiere right from there (nothing else installed), and it still wasn't completely stable. I've had the same issue with 3 different PC's, so it's not the hardware either... it's the wonderful world of Windows. :rolleyes:

AndrewP

Never ever reinstalled my Windows XP.
Just ghosted with Norton hard drive going from original 40 to 80, then to 160 GB and changing PCs several times. But still have data back from Windows 95 original Dell Pentium 2 120 MGH PC (1995).
Same at work.
No problems. Install only programs I need. Use Norton Antivirus, ZoneAlarm firewall and SonicWall hardware firewall. :)

Mark Strube

Just curious, why are you doubling up on firewalls? The whole point of a hardware firewall is that it's generally more secure and doesn't take up any system resources. If you're going to use a soft firewall, I'd highly recommend Sygate Personal Firewall instead. It's totally free, and has the same basic principle of ZoneAlarm... application-specific permissions, but it doesn't take nearly the system resources. Also, I prefer AVG Antivirus but I suppose if you pay for Norton you might as well use it.

http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687

(Just last month Sygate discontinued their freeware product, so that link is the easiest way to get it now.)

AndrewP

Quote from: Mark StrubeJust curious, why are you doubling up on firewalls?

Hardware firewall protects you from outside attacks. But if you by accident started a malicious program from your computer it will not protect you. The same goes to the basic software Windows XP firewall. Zonealarm or any other good software firewall will be able to protect you in this situation.
Why ZoneAlarm and NAV? Because these programs are very good and they come free with Tax software I am buying every year. :)
I use SonicWall also for VPN connection to the office.

waterhead

I agree, This thread has strayed a bit.

The original question, how to archive HDTV files, has many answers. Depending on the source of the files, the file type and the preferred operating system of the archiver (let's not go down that road again). So, this thread's originator, pdtricn, may need to provide more info for more help.

Also, I agree that windows A/V software is superior to anything I found on Linux, I don't know about Macs. I use Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus for editing, but it only edits mpeg files. I heard the newest version has .avi support. Oops I strayed off topic again.

P.S.
I just reread  the first post. pdtricn has a Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD8000.