• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Hard Drive Backup Suggestions

Started by GADGET71, Friday Oct 21, 2005, 08:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GADGET71

Looking for easy to use Hard drive backup hardware and software.  Would like some sort of internal or external hard drive to back up to, along with easy software to back up data.  Any suggestions?
________
N42

jkane

Backup what data?  HDTV show?  From what device?

I recommend mirrored drives if you are building a personal DVR out of a computer.  That way the backup is always there.  Except if you run a delete command.  For that, I set up a second computer and copy files to it over a network when I want to be sure they are saved.

oz

Check the ads in the Sunday paper. An external USB hard drive is the way to go - and the prices are coming way down. If you can wait until after Thanksgiving you will see some really nice deals.  I've worked with the software that comes with the Western Digital, Seagate, and Iomega external drives. They are pretty similar and most offer a one-touch backup button for easy backups.

waterhead

I've had some recent experience using Norton(Symantic) Ghost. It makes an image of your operating system, and can re-install it to it original form. You would store this on a separate partition. This is what Dell uses on their computers, they call it "Dell Restore Utility".

I'm pretty sure you can back up any files, not just an O/S.

I see that NERO also has a backup utility, as well.

Steve Mann

For my solution, I have an additional internal HDD that I use for back up. I wrote a batch file that uses Xcopy to copy files that have changed since the last backup from my main HDD to the backup HDD. Then I use Task Scheduler to run the bat file once a week.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Mark Strube

Since this isn't really about HDTV Technical Issues, I've moved the thread.

AndrewP

Norton Ghost + external HD. :)
Look at CompUSA deals on Sunday paper for Norton. I got it for $20.

mhz40

Quote from: AndrewPNorton Ghost + external HD. :)
Look at CompUSA deals on Sunday paper for Norton. I got it for $20.
Ditto ditto ditto.  IMO, Ghost is the only product left in their arsenal that Symantec/Norton hasen't screwed up yet.
You might also consider a RW-DVD drive instead of the external drive if your data cache isn't too large (2-4 gig).  Then you can use it for other things, like burning home-brew DVD's & CD's

Joseph S

Acronis True Image is another option instead of Ghost. Works with pretty much every drive connection on the market.

kjnorman

I bought an external Seagate 160GB USB drive for work that comes with backup software.  It works well.  I got it from best buy for $160.

Now yesterday I also bought (for home) a seagate 160GB internal drive that also comes with the same backup software.  This is currently on special from Bestbuy for $120 less $80 rebate = $40!!!   (Rebate offer ends tomorrow 11/5).  

I had previously bought a 120GB drive for $100-$70 rebate but returned it for this offer which I thought was better (both are 25c/Gb but you get the extra space!!).