• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Road Runner outages... more frequent?

Started by Mark Strube, Friday Oct 21, 2005, 04:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

Lately I've been noticing an increase in Road Runner outages. Usually they'll happen late at night, around 2-5am, where my cable modem just resets itself, and doesn't get back on track for awhile (up to 10 min). But even more annoying, at any time, recently I'll just lose internet. Let me explain - the lights on the cable modem are still on and blinking, but I can't connect to any website. This will usually go on for anywhere from 2-5 min. Really annoying. Anyone else experiencing this or happen to know the cause?

Everything's just going to hell these days, eh? :rofl:

picopir8

I had problems with the Roadrunner DNS.  Long lookups or sitting idle because it cant find a URL.  I have since changed my DNS to be 4.2.2.2 (a free and very fast DNS).  Roadrunner has since been very fast and very reliable.

Mark Strube

Nice!! I never knew you could do this. Who runs these DNS' and is there a directory or something somewhere?

Mark Strube

Holy crap... I noticed an instant speed-up!!! Highly recommended!!

I'm going to make a tip thread just for this... :D

Bebop

They are public DNS from Level 3.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

I haven't had any problems since the last weather outage.  I noticed around that time, though, that there is only a primary DNS server listed.  There used to be two additional alternates, which is probably why everyone is having the DNS problems.  When that goes down or has issues, you have no alternates in line to do DNS resoultion for you.

techguy1975

I never noticed any problems..  Although, a few days ago my IP changed for the first time since I got RR installed here back in March.   Outages in the early morning hours are pretty common, since that is typically a low usage time, and when most ISPs perform routine maintencne

Mark Strube

Quote from: techboywiOutages in the early morning hours are pretty common, since that is typically a low usage time

Not for me!! :D

(Oh shush... I know what you're thinking. Just because I'm online late at night... all alone... and lonely... doesn't mean what I think you're thinking. Or are you? :rofl: )

mhz40

Quote from: Mark StrubeNot for me!! :D

(Oh shush... I know what you're thinking. Just because I'm online late at night... all alone... and lonely... doesn't mean what I think you're thinking. Or are you? :rofl: )
Yes, I know...  You are a day-trader in the Japan stock market, right?