• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best internet browser and anti-virus software

Started by Racer47, Friday Oct 07, 2005, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racer47

I just picked up a new desktop for home and I'm trying to decide between Netscape 8 and Firefox as my main browser. I'd like to minimze virus and spyware problems but not have compatibility issues. I'm leaning towards Netscape. What do you think?

What is considered the best anti-virus and anti-spyware software (I realize it somewhat subjective)?

Thanks in advance.

kjnorman

Well Netscape 8 and Firefox are based off the same foundation technology so you are probably pretty good to go with whatever you want.

The question is do you want the bulk of Newscape and extra functionality like communicator, or just a browser?

Personally I use Firefox for internet, and Thunderbird for email.

Steve Mann

Quote from: Racer47I just picked up a new desktop for home and I'm trying to decide between Netscape 8 and Firefox as my main browser. I'd like to minimze virus and spyware problems but not have compatibility issues. I'm leaning towards Netscape. What do you think?

Firefox is going to have MUCH less bloat. While Netscape is based on Firefox (uses it's rendering engine), they've add lots of other stuff that most folks don't need or want. Lot's of hooks to AOL stuff, for example. Plus, there's the talk that MS might be investing in AOL. If that's the case, they'll end up owning Netscape (what a wicked turn of events that will be).

QuoteWhat is considered the best anti-virus and anti-spyware software (I realize it somewhat subjective)?

eTrust from Computer Associates is a VERY good anti-virus while also maintaining a small footprint. Nice price point also. Check them out here.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Steve Mann

Quote from: kjnormanThe question is do you want the bulk of Newscape and extra functionality like communicator, or just a browser?

Actually, Netscape8 is just a browser like Firefox. There is no mail/news client included with it.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

RickNeff

Firefox is much less resource hungry than a full install of Netscape. Don't forget Opera (http://www.opera.com) is now free.

I prefer AVG as my anti-virus (//www.grisoft.com) protection.

StarvingForHDTV

I use AVG free edition and have never had a problem.

afa3

I use Firefox, and rarely have compatability problems on mainstream sites. Heavy-duty sites (lots of Java or fancy Javascript) sometimes require IE, however. In my case, these are usually work-related so I tend to use IE for work, Firefox for personal surfing. Kids use more IE too, since they go for the games.

For anti-spyware, try AdAware SE Personal (free for personal use) link It's worked well for me.

You should also consider adding ZoneAlarm (free for personal use) link

ZoneAlarm is a very good firewall. It monitors and controls what goes in and out of your Internet connection. It protects you from direct attacks/probes over your connection and also gives you a heads-up if a virus or spyware is trying to "phone home." It's easy to set up for basic surfing. It's a little more work to use if you use a VPN, network conferencing, or things like that, but it's still worth the trouble.

waterhead

Firefox is an excellent choice. But, if you're using Linux, you will have to install the plug-ins for Flash Player and Java and maybe others. You may have to do this on windows also, I don't remember, but it is very easy to do. I also 2nd the vote for Thunderbird for E-mail.

For windows based systems, Trend Micro PC-Cillin is my choice for anti-virus. It also has an excellent firewall that beats the crap out of windows' flimsy excuse of a firewall.

dj1111

I'm still using a 9 year old CyberMax computer for much of my browsing running on a 166mhz Cyrix processor.  We have a much newer Pentium III computer but my kids pretty much took it over for their games.  The old computer just keeps chugging along with little or no problems.  When you do a ctrl-alt-delete there's only 2 processes running, System Tray and Explorer.  Lean and mean.  The problem is it's so old there isn't much software available that will work on it.  IE seems to be the only browser that has low enough system requirements.  As far as anti-virus I ended up finding a program called Avast and have been using their free version for over a year now.  It works great on this old antique.

Joseph S

Firefox is great. Mac OS X is my antivirus software of choice.

kevbeck122

I mainly use Firefox unless there's something related to ActiveX that I need to use IE.  Netscape 8 has an "Internet Explorer Engine" which I think just integrates IE into Netscape.  You can run ActiveX content within Netscape when using this engine.  I don't run any anti-virus software, but I'd recommend any of the free ones since they don't use as much processes as McAfee or Norton.  Or just switch to Linux or OSX and you'll be fine without it :D.

Quote from: Steve MannIf that's the case, they'll end up owning Netscape (what a wicked turn of events that will be).

I thought Netscape broke away from AOL awhile ago.  That's why AOL never integrated Netscape into their ISP program (when it was planned).

gb4fan92

I tried Firefox a while back but stopped using it because it didn't allow me to use RoboForm and the Google Toolbar.  While I checked it today and found that both can now be used with Firefox. So I downloaded Firefox today and have been using it all day with no problems. I use Norton Internet Security for my anti virus software and it works fine for me. :)

waterhead

Quote from: gb4fan92I use Norton Internet Security for my anti virus software and it works fine for me. :)

I used to use Norton, but after I installed an ATI All-In Wonder card I couldn't get the FM tuner portion to work. Turned out the Norton program was interferring. Trend was highly rated, so I tried it, and now I have no need to try any other.

tywest

Quote from: Joseph SFirefox is great. Mac OS X is my antivirus software of choice.

I woud agree with joe. :cool:

waterhead

Quote from: Joseph SFirefox is great. Mac OS X is my antivirus software of choice.

Actually Linux is better, because it's FREE. It will also run on a regular PC. Can't do that with Apple products.