• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Centurytel phone service

Started by Ralph Kramden, Wednesday Sep 21, 2005, 09:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

I'm looking to drop Centurytel local phone service to save some money. I currently use an internet service for my long distance calling. I have TWC Roadrunner internet service and satellite TV(I don't want to change these). What do you guys recommend for local phone service/long distance? If the deal's right, I'll cancel the long distance internet service and go with one company for combined local/long distance. Thanks.

mhz40

Quote from: Ralph KramdenI'm looking to drop Centurytel local phone service to save some money. I currently use an internet service for my long distance calling. I have TWC Roadrunner internet service and satellite TV(I don't want to change these). What do you guys recommend for local phone service/long distance? If the deal's right, I'll cancel the long distance internet service and go with one company for combined local/long distance. Thanks.
Yeah, I dropped them months ago & went with Cingular wireless.  For a little more than what I was paying for my CentruryTel land line, I got two cell phones & 500 shared monthly minutes w/rollover.  (Hardware was extra.)
Since I work for them, I expect to add TW phone once it's available in the Eagle area.  They have the all-you-can-eat local and long distance service starting around 45 bucks/month.  The only extra you can get above the standard service (which already includes call waiting, caller id etc..) is voicemail.  The few big drawbacks for some is the fact that the phone line goes down with the local power and does not yet support modems or fax machines .  A personal drawback for me is the fact that 3-way calling won't be available for a while, but I can live without it for now.
I believe TW just launched the phone service in the Delafield and East Troy areas.  It should be available across the entire SE WI TW area soon.  I think the CentruryTel area is the largest/last area standing in TW's footprint without TW as a local phone competitor.  I'm pretty sure on that because I've been watching the prograss at work, waiting to drop CentruyTel like a lead baloon.  I just got tired of waiting & went with wireless for the short term, expecting TW service this fall.  If you keep RR, I would think you may get some sort of discount.
You should also check out the true-blue VoIP services like Vonage & the others.  They ride on top of your existing RR connection.  I think other users here will be able to fill you in on those products, or you can simply seek out their web sites.

Talos4

I dropped SBC and went with TWC. I have RR and Satellite.

$47.00 a month ( i think) with Voice mail. Unlimited Local and Long distance.

BTW, My DTV boxes make their phone calls just fine with their modems.  I know TWC say's your modems MAY NOT work. But, mine are fine.

As far as the 911 service going out with RR. Everyone in the family has cell phones. from 2 different providers.

picopir8

I recommend Sunrocket.  They just upgraded their firmware which caused some problems but its once again pretty reliable.  Its $16.67/mo which includes unlimited local and long distance.  You also get something like 1 hr of international calling every month.  Two incomming phone lines (with any area code you choose; get one local and one near a distant relative) each with their own voicemail, caller ID, call waiting, etc. is all included.  Hardware is free and you get two free cordless phones.  I have not seen anything else that comes close to the price/feature/reliability combination.

If you are interested, PM me because I can get a referral credit.

Ralph Kramden

Picopir8, I don't know if you ever got my PM's. When I checked Sunrocket's website, it said the service is not available to me. Did you have this problem?
Were you able to keep your same phone number? A couple other company's websites I checked with said I could get another phone number. Sunrocket doesn't offer this? Thanks.

picopir8

I just got your PMs, sunrocket does not have prefixes for every town but they do have numbers in almost all area codes.  So try a neigboring town.  I have a milwaukee number but I live in Wauwatosa.  The only downfall I have had was calling pizza hut.  Since the prefix is not listed in their computer, they think I dont live in the delivery area, so I give them my old number until they work out that issue in their computer system.

Since they do not have prefixes in every town, the likelyhood of transfering a number is slim.

Ralph Kramden

To you guys who have or had Centurytel phone service, do you have a phone box mounted on the side of your house? I want to unplug my phone line coming in, but I have no box outside on my house. When I called them, I was told there should be a box on the house. Thanks.