• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Setting back the thermostat

Started by picopir8, Tuesday Oct 04, 2005, 06:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

Im preparing for the expensive winter ahead of us.  Last year I got a programmable thremostat and an oil filled radiant space heater.  I just got an $80 gift card from Home Depot and wanted to get another space heater.  However they dont seem to cary any of the oil filled heaters.  So I went with a ceramic heater. I figured I would use that in my TV room and the oil filled heater in my bedroom (since they are the safest to use unattended).

Last year I set the heat around 66 when Im home (then heating the room Im in), 62 while asleep, and 58 while at work.  Im wondering if those are proper setbacks.  I want to set the temp as low as possible but also dont want to stress my boiler (I have steam heat) too much when it does kick in.  Should I set the temp lower or are these good settings?

PatM

Depends what you are comfortable with.
I keep mine at 71 day and 70 night.
Low 60's seems pretty brutal :rolleyes:

Joseph S

QuoteDepends what you are comfortable with.
Yeah, I barely ever use the heat. The AC is another story and these 80+ degree days in Oct are not helping.

jkane

33 degrees in the winter, and 65 in the summer.   :rofl:

Paul S.

I'd keep it at 56 if it weren't for the woman being cold on 80 freakin' degree days!!!

picopir8

Luckily my companions are of the furry variety.  They are always glad to see me and due to their lack of height and opposable thumbs my thermostat always stays where I set it. :)

easylistener

I set mine at 65-68 when I am home.  Depends on how many blankets my wife has on.  At night it goes to 58, I like it cold at night.  When I am gone it will go to 55.  I have a NG forced air furn. though.

Doug Mohr

I remember some show on energy efficiency that to turn down a thermostat more than 3 degrees will consume more energy to reheat the house than if you would have left it set at the original temp.

Their advice was to use following setbacks:
If setback for less than 6 hours - 3 degrees or less
Setback for 6-12 hours - 3 to 5 degrees
12 hours to 24 hours - 5 to 8 degrees
Over 24 hours - Go nuts!

I actually leave ours set at 72 all winter and summer. Our costs seem pretty reasonable compared to other people we know.

There are companies that makes dual fuel furnaces. They burn regular wood or engineered wood pellets and use gas or oil as a backup.

If you have a large stockpile of wood, that may pay for itself in a few seasons.

Doug

PatM

They were just discussing this topic on the radio with a furnace repairman.
His answer was that it was O.K. to set the thermostat back to 62-65 degrees when you are not at home.
Anything in the 50's is a waste and may even cost you more as you use more gas bringing the temperature back to normal.
This is also harder on the heating unit.
They also suggest keeping the filters clean or replacing every month during the heating season.
Also, any furnace over 15 years old is very inefficient compared to new models.
Low temperatures also require a higher humidity level to feel comfortable.

jkane

I don't think you can install a wood buring furnace inside your house anymore and still get insurance!  I always wondered why anyone would buy one of these "go outside a couple times a day and fill it" type furnaces until I heard that reason.   :rolleyes:

mhz40

Ya, you can get insurance...just get them installed properly and maintain your chimney.
I've got a wood stove in the basement & used it on weekends to heat up finished off area for the past 5 years.  It easily warmed up the entire area a good 7-10 degrees and also helped a little on the gas bill.  Wood stoves are actually fairly efficient (70-80%) and create an atmosphere you can't get out baseboard electric heat.  It's just not a great deal in terms of savings unless you can cut your own wood... prices seem to go up with the cost of natura gas every year.
Remember, running a wood stoves warms you twice... once while splitting & hauling the wood and a second time when you burn it!
{fart}

dj1111

My facts:
20 year old house with original (supposedly) 96% efficient gas furnace.
16 to 18 inches of blown in fiberglass attic insulation.
Only 3.5" studded walls.
Thermostat is at 70 during the day and sets back to 60 at night from 9pm 'til 5:45 am.
We also have a gas drier and water heater.
I can count on one hand the number of times we've had a monthly gas bill over $100.  Although this year may be a different story with the rising gas prices the're promising us.

Your greatest heat loss is through the ceilings into your attic.  Insulate them well.  If the snow melts on your roof from underneath and causes ice damming, or you get icicles hanging from your house, you need more insulation.  :wave:

MoreTorque99

I haven't used my heat this year at all.  I probablly wont turn it on until mid december.  The colder... the better.

dj1111

Same here, we are holding out as long as possible.  But to December?  We'll see about that.  I heard the Farmers Almanac says we're going to get hit hard this year.  Aren't they more accurate than meteorologists?

Doug Mohr

Quote from: MoreTorque99I haven't used my heat this year at all.  I probablly wont turn it on until mid december.  The colder... the better.

I haven't even turned off the AC yet...

Doug