• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cancelling TWCHD after baseball b/c you can't add anything but HBO or SHO to locals

Started by Joseph S, Monday Oct 03, 2005, 07:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Joseph S comments originally referred to HD DVR use as well, so AndrewP's comments :
"So with Dish you can have 15 HD satellite channels and all local OTA (with OTA antenna) for $20/month."
This does not hold up, sorry. ;)

This means the reality Joseph S was discussing really is (with Dish) is the first comment:
"HD DVR - $5 DVR fee (it will work with two TVs, you can watch two seperate programs on two TVs at the same time). It will be $5 DVR extra fee if it is not connected to the tel. line.
BUT: In order to select only these channels you should own the equipment. The Dish favorite lease deal (free basic HD, 250$ extra charge for HD DVR) will not work here. With lease you should select one of the basic packages with locals.
It is $32 for AT60 with locals.

So let us compare it the way it was per the original response.
I am not moderating this, it just seems more fair to keep to the original thread.
Thank you. :wave:

AndrewP

Why Voom receiver? Voom DBS is out of bussines. Voom originals are alive and Dish has a contract (even some shares) to air them with whatever entity left after Voom (Rainbow or Cablevision).
Dish has 10 Voom originals HD package, it will go up to 21 by January.

Quote from: Mark StrubeHmm... I don't suppose Dish will work with a VOOM receiver? :D

(I got one for a cheap OTA tuner)

AndrewP

Let me clarify Dish pricing in two lines:
$20/month with 1 basic HD receiver;
$25/month with 1 HD DVR;

That will be for 15 satellite HD channels and all local OTA HD (with OTA antenna).
 :)

Quote from: gparrisJoseph S comments originally referred to HD DVR use as well, so AndrewP's comments :
"So with Dish you can have 15 HD satellite channels and all local OTA (with OTA antenna) for $20/month."
This does not hold up, sorry. ;)

This means the reality Joseph S was discussing really is (with Dish) is the first comment:
"HD DVR - $5 DVR fee (it will work with two TVs, you can watch two seperate programs on two TVs at the same time). It will be $5 DVR extra fee if it is not connected to the tel. line.
BUT: In order to select only these channels you should own the equipment. The Dish favorite lease deal (free basic HD, 250$ extra charge for HD DVR) will not work here. With lease you should select one of the basic packages with locals.
It is $32 for AT60 with locals.

So let us compare it the way it was per the original response.
I am not moderating this, it just seems more fair to keep to the original thread.
Thank you. :wave:

gparris

Quote:
"BUT: In order to select only these channels you should own the equipment. The Dish favorite lease deal (free basic HD, 250$ extra charge for HD DVR) will not work here.
With lease you should select one of the basic packages with locals.
It is $32 for AT60 with locals."

Not just $25 at all... if you are honestly comparing the TWC Lease offer to get a HD DVR with a Lease offer from Dish:
Then the monthly rate is more than $25, more like $32 for the AT60 with locals  (sounds similar to TWC) then add the $20 for the HD package with Voom channels plus the $5 DVR fee equals $57, not $25, unless Joseph S is planning to fork out another $250 right away and it doesn't seem likely, but then again, I'm not him :D

Joseph S

QuoteJoseph S is planning to fork out another $250 right away and it doesn't seem likely, but then again, I'm not him

I already have D-VHS and 4 OTA PVRs. Have no need for anyone else's PVR unless they want to throw in a free HDTIVO. The only OTA stations I have problems with are the Sinclairs which aren't on TWC anyways.

All I want is ESPNHD,ESPN2HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, HBOHD and whatever others channels a service can offer like Universal HD. I don't want to pay every month for stuff I never watch like the analogs and <500 digitals.

At least with a satellite service I have other benefits like access to HD Baseball games if I subscribe to the MLBEI package and the ability to order NFL Season Pass. TWC is offering next to nothing for me for the extra $60 a month they charge. I can live with OTA in the meantime. If TWC wants to offer  a real HDTV only package I would go for it at a reasonable price.

Requiring $44.95 digital value package is a joke and there's no technical reason why they can't offer an HD only package. They have the ability to block both analogs and individual digital channels.

QuotePersonally, I like talking to a local person at TWC when I have a situation with any of my services with them, not someone elsewhere in the country (or India)!
I think you forgot the price of a speaker phone. At least you can get through to India. The waits for TWC are 25 minutes at a minimum.

Mark Strube

Quote from: AndrewPWhy Voom receiver? Voom DBS is out of bussines. Voom originals are alive and Dish has a contract (even some shares) to air them with whatever entity left after Voom (Rainbow or Cablevision).
Dish has 10 Voom originals HD package, it will go up to 21 by January.

Calm down, I was just asking if anyone found a way to make VOOM receivers work with any other service... since I happen to have one. ;)

AndrewP

Quote from: gparrisQuote:
"BUT: In order to select only these channels you should own the equipment. The Dish favorite lease deal (free basic HD, 250$ extra charge for HD DVR) will not work here.
With lease you should select one of the basic packages with locals.
It is $32 for AT60 with locals."

Not just $25 at all... if you are honestly comparing the TWC Lease offer to get a HD DVR with a Lease offer from Dish:
Then the monthly rate is more than $25, more like $32 for the AT60 with locals  (sounds similar to TWC) then add the $20 for the HD package with Voom channels plus the $5 DVR fee equals $57, not $25, unless Joseph S is planning to fork out another $250 right away and it doesn't seem likely, but then again, I'm not him :D

Actually I was not comparing lease offers from TWC and Dish. I don't know anything about TWC since 2001. I was answering the original question :

So how much will you be paying to get only HD from DirecTV or Dish Network?

I did not even mention TWC in my response. And I gave full answer about HD only packs, that you need to own equipment (that means initial investment), that you can't get it with lease offer, and what will be the lowest price for HD packs with leasing.
So if you correctly add numbers for leasing, then the min cost will be:
1. 1 standard HD receiver: $32 (AT60 with SD locals) + $10 (HD PACK) + $5 (Voom pack) = $47. Receiver is free.
2. 1 HD DVR : $47 + $5 DVR fee = $52. Plus $250 DVR setup fee, you do not own the receiver.

I heard that with D* you also can order only HD pack (maybe D* users will correct me on this), but right now then have less HD channels. But it will change soon and if they will have more HD then I will probably switch also. I think E* will try to offer the the same amount of national HD channels with MPEG4 switch and approving Voom satellite sale to Dish. They will not be able to compete with D* in HD locals, but I dont'care, because I have all Milwaukee and Chicago HD locals with OTA. :)

AndrewP

Quote from: Mark StrubeCalm down, I was just asking if anyone found a way to make VOOM receivers work with any other service... since I happen to have one. ;)

Authorized Voom receivers work fine with OTA HD now. BTW I gave two my Voom receivers to my friends and they are happy. :)

mhz40

So lets up Joseph's $70 number to $75 a month.  Take Andrew's $52 up to $55, for a differance of $20 bucks a month.  For that $20 in savings you get rid of the "500 channels you don't watch" (assuming here you are a single household, without wife, kids or visitiors) and a single-source signal provider.  Now; add in the $250 for the hardware.  The payback will occur in just over one year.
Sounds like a good deal for you... go go for it!  I'd never get away with this... too many people in the house like access to news, financial stuff, the History ch etc... HD or not.  Not to mention I'd never go to DSL.

Mark Strube

Same here. DSL is simply a no-go because to get even NEAR the speed I get with Road Runner I'd have to pay nearly twice as much. And I do a lot of downloading. Shhh. :D

Full-blown satellite is a no-go for many reasons... which is why I was curious about any reasonable HD-only packages... since my tv is the only one using HD channels & DVR. With Dish Network if I could get the dish for free, an HD-DVR that will support the upcoming MPEG4 for a decent discount, and a monthly bill not over around $20 (including the VOOM channels) I'd go for it (keeping cable for all the other channels and everyone else in the house). Doubtful that's gonna happen.

AndrewP

Quote from: Mark StrubeSame here. DSL is simply a no-go because to get even NEAR the speed I get with Road Runner I'd have to pay nearly twice as much. And I do a lot of downloading. Shhh. :D

Full-blown satellite is a no-go for many reasons... which is why I was curious about any reasonable HD-only packages... since my tv is the only one using HD channels & DVR. With Dish Network if I could get the dish for free, an HD-DVR that will support the upcoming MPEG4 for a decent discount, and a monthly bill not over around $20 (including the VOOM channels) I'd go for it (keeping cable for all the other channels and everyone else in the house). Doubtful that's gonna happen.

From E* and D* you will not get HD DVR with discount without programming commitent. That $20/month will work only if you own. Dish will sell HD DVR 942 for $600 at least. I don't know what D* will ask for HD TIVO without their Total Choice package. I doubt they will give you any discount in this situation. So I doubt you will go for that deal. That is why I don't think combining cable and satellite will be a resonable option.
I have RR now but I realy want to get DSL for $14.95 now. I have DSL at work and I am very comfortable with the speed.
I am waiting for Google to step up here in Milwaukee and offer free Wi-Fi. That will bring RR and high speed DSL price to a reasonable level, maybe $15/month. It will be great.

Mark Strube

That google wifi is going to be around 4mbps (at full signal)... so I could easily see RR at least doubling their speed if not more... for the same price they have now.

AndrewP

Quote from: Mark StrubeThat google wifi is going to be around 4mbps (at full signal)... so I could easily see RR at least doubling their speed if not more... for the same price they have now.

Let's see:
Reuters, Oct1, 2005:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Marking its biggest step into the wireless communications market to date, Google Inc. said on Friday it has proposed to provide free wireless Internet services across the city of San Francisco.

The Web search company said it has responded to a request for information by the City of San Francisco to test local Internet services via Wi-Fi, the short-range wireless technology built into most new laptop computers.

"Google has submitted a proposal to offer free, wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi) to the entire city of San Francisco," Google said in a statement.

So, it will be free, with ads, that means not everybody will use it, but it will bring prices down. :)

Mark Strube

Correcting myself, Google WiFi will be around 300kbps... so put simply, when you're downloading something in a popular browser, it'll show that download going at 30K/s... perfect for web browsing, email, and the occasional medium download but not much more.

mhz40

Quote from: AndrewP[clip]"Google has submitted a proposal to offer free, wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi) to the entire city of San Francisco," Google said in a statement.
So, it will be free, with ads, that means not everybody will use it, but it will bring prices down. :) [/clip]

Sounds like the Net 'Zero' of years ago... no fee, but packed with ads.  IMO, the model has since failed and now it's 9.95 a month for Net 'Zero'...