• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

XM jumps on DirecTV platform

Started by bubbaridesfast, Thursday Sep 29, 2005, 02:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbaridesfast

XM jumps on DirecTV platform
Published: September 29, 2005, 11:41 AM PDT
By CNET News.com Staff

DirecTV announced Thursday that it will provide music and talk radio shows to subscribers through a new partnership with XM Satellite Radio.

The nation's No.1 digital TV broadcaster will start beaming approximately half of XM's 150 commercial-free audio channels to DirecTV's 14.6 million subscribers on Nov. 15, the companies said.

XM, whose subscriber base recently topped 5 million, is hoping that DirecTV customers who sample its music, sports and talk radio channels will opt for a subscription. XM rival Sirius Satellite Radio signed a similar deal with Dish Network in May 2004.

"DirecTV offers a fantastic platform for people to experience some of the amazing content we offer on XM. We know from experience that when people get to sample XM, they want to become XM subscribers," Patricia Kesling, XM's senior vice president for marketing and operations, said in a statement.

Depending on the viewing packages they're already getting from DirecTV, TV viewers will be able to access 50, 65 or 70 XM channels. In addition, XM will air the Major League Baseball "Home Plate" talk radio channel, and its High Voltage channel, featuring talk radio broadcasters Opie and Anthony, via the DirecTV platform.

sp44again

murdoc

So are these going to replace the current music channels or will they be added to another premium (pay) package?

sp44again

Tom Snyder

Crud! Of all the channels on all the worthless local FM stations, or even on XM and/or Sirius, the Music Choice Adult Atrenative Channel (820 on DTV) is my favorite music channel.  I like XM and Sirius, but I do a lot of station hopping with both of them... There isn't one I can just leave on all the time like I can the Music Choice AA station.  

I hate when that hapens.  :bang:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

kjnorman

Tom, you should do what I do.  Sign up for a Yahoo! Unlimited music subscription (currently a bargin $60 for a year) and get a compatible music player (I'm using a Creative Zen Micro - though there may be better ones now).

Then you load it up with subscription music you like and plug it into your car, home HiFi or whatever.  I think you can also stream the Yahoo! subscription content to certain music clients over you home lan.

If you get bored with a certain type of music then download different stuff.  You have access to a claimed 1 million plus songs.... plus 100+ music channels.

So far its working well for me, though the Beta Yahoo! software is somewhat buggy.  Still its cheap.

I considered XM/Sirius but found the above to be more cost effective, though I will admit that sometimes it would actually be nice just to let someone else select the music for you (though not often :))

I currently have about 900 songs, 80+ hours of music played randomly on my Zen.  That's good for a month's worth of commuting before I hear the same song twice, and by then I would have loaded something new on it.

Kerry

Tom Snyder

Playing the music isn't the problem for me. I have about 10,000 mp3's, and have it all loaded into the same software program that a lot of radio stations (and satellite stations, and streaming internet sites) use to schedule and play their music. So I have the benefit of having my own personal radio station anytime I want, programmed professionally by a former major market program director (me), with either a Jack-type eclectic mix of all my favorite songs, or specific formats. I have about a half dozen formats (oldies, WZMF-60's album rock, Smooth jazz, Quiet Storm, etc.), and depending on the mood I'm in, I just have it generate a couple hours or a few days worth the format, and either just send it to my home Sound system, or burn them to a couple CD's...

But I have no way (nor do I wish to spend the time) to learn enough about any new music that may fit my eclelctic tastes. Music Choice's Adult Alternative format matches my tastes for new music to a tee, and they play a good mix of older stuff that fits, too.

Yeah, I can start paying attention to the stuff they play and then go buy them at Yahoo or Itunes, but that takes care of me only till the new stuff is replaced by even newer stuff.  Then I'm screwed.  :confused:
Tom Snyder

kjnorman

Quote from: Tom SnyderPlaying the music isn't the problem for me. I have about 10,000 mp3's

Err, can I give you a hard drive and have a copy of your music library please?  :D  :D

Bluto

has anyone seen a list of the XM music channels that DirectTV will be carrying?

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: Blutohas anyone seen a list of the XM music channels that DirectTV will be carrying?

http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/XM_channel_lineup.pdf

Tom Snyder

Ha... It says if you liked Music Choice's Adult Alternative 820, you'll find XM Cafe on 832 acceptable... Not even close!  :(
Tom Snyder

Bluto

Quote from: Todd Wiedemannhttp://www.directv.com/see/pdf/XM_channel_lineup.pdf

Thanks much, Todd.

Am I the only person in the world that has a hard time finding info - like this and press releases -  on DirectTV's web site?