News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best TWC non-DVR HD Box?

Started by Mark Strube, Monday Sep 26, 2005, 09:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

So my mom might be finally getting an HDTV... found this at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3650613
(Any thoughts on this set?)

She's going to be needing an HD box from TWC (just a normal non-DVR box). Which is the best box for her to use?

I know there's been some discussion on this in the past, but I don't know if things have changed or certain boxes are no longer available etc. I remember people used to recommend the Scientific Atlanta box but then I heard they're quite buggy(?)... and are there different versions of the Pioneer box? Is there a certain Pioneer model I should be asking for?

Also, I remember for the short time I had a Pioneer HD box, using the DVI was just awful... it had to switch output formats everytime I brought up the guide and it would freeze up quite often.

Thanks for any help!

mhz40

IMO, its still Pioneer.  Glitches are part of the territory with DVI.  By design, DVI transports the native format of the signal.  Therefore every time you change the channel to one not similar in format to the one you are tuning away from... poof!  That's why I suggest componet is still best for cable surfing.  You can set it for 1080i and the output format never changes.
DVI is good for fixed sources, like DVR's etc...

Mark Strube

I see... why can't the Pioneer boxes upscale DVI as effortlessly as my DVR?

mhz40

Not sure.  Although the technologies are a year or two apart...

mhz40

Quote from: Mark StrubeI see... why can't the Pioneer boxes upscale DVI as effortlessly as my DVR?
Good question.  No good answer...
The DVI does not scale.  It passes through the original format of the received mpeg signal.  The time delay is as much a function of monitors changing formats as the set tops.