• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

McCain Wants Jan. 1, 2007 Analog TV Shutdown

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Sep 24, 2005, 01:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

In a floor speech on interoperable communications for public safety officials Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.), referring to the compromise date of Jan. 1, 2009 date for shutting down analog TV broadcasting, said "Upon introduction, I suggested this date is a compromise between public safety organizations, equipment manufacturers, localities and broadcasters. However, after watching citizens suffer during recovery efforts in New Orleans, I believe this date should be moved up to Jan. 1, 2007, as originally contemplated by Congress in the Telecommunications Act of 1996."

He emphasized first responders needed the spectrum that would be freed by the analog shutdown to allow them to build new communications systems allowing different first responders--police, fire and medical personnel--to talk to each other.

In his speech, Senator McCain quoted Sept. 11 Commission Chairman Kean's comments on CNN's Late Edition last Sunday,"what's frustrating is it's the same thing over again. I mean, how many people have to lose their lives? It's lack of communication, our first responders not being able to talk to each other.... Basically it's many of the things that, frankly, if some of our recommendations had been passed by the United States Congress ... could have been avoided. But on the ground, the people that get there first can't talk to each other because the radio communications don't work. They haven't got enough what's called spectrum. So there is a bill in Congress to provide first responders spectrum. The bill has been sitting in Congress, nothing has been happening, and again, people on the ground--police, fire, medical personnel--couldn't talk to each other. That's outrageous and it's a scandal and I think it cost lives."

You can read the entire speech on Senator John McCain's Web site. Also see Stevens Readies DTV Transition Bill by Molly M. Peterson and Drew Clark at //www.NJTelecomUpdate.com.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

foxeng

Quote from: Gregg LenglingHe emphasized first responders needed the spectrum that would be freed by the analog shutdown to allow them to build new communications systems allowing different first responders--police, fire and medical personnel--to talk to each other.

In his speech, Senator McCain quoted Sept. 11 Commission Chairman Kean's comments on CNN's Late Edition last Sunday,"what's frustrating is it's the same thing over again. I mean, how many people have to lose their lives? It's lack of communication, our first responders not being able to talk to each other.... Basically it's many of the things that, frankly, if some of our recommendations had been passed by the United States Congress ... could have been avoided. But on the ground, the people that get there first can't talk to each other because the radio communications don't work. They haven't got enough what's called spectrum. So there is a bill in Congress to provide first responders spectrum. The bill has been sitting in Congress, nothing has been happening, and again, people on the ground--police, fire, medical personnel--couldn't talk to each other. That's outrageous and it's a scandal and I think it cost lives."

While in principle I have no problem with the premise that our first responders need the best they can get, including spectrum, I do take issue with Chairman Kean's comments that more spectrum would have solved many of New Orleans problems. That is just simply not true.

The problem in New Orleans was not enough spectrum, the problem was not enough electricity to run the equipment they had, enough of that equipment that wasn't flooded out, and enough towers that held that equipment that remained standing.

Over the past 40 years there has been a push to use higher and higher spectrum. While this is good business for Motorola and Ericsson and the like, the higher in spectrum you go, the more power it takes and the higher the antennas to maintain the same coverage area as lower spectrum. That is why a TV station on channel 2 needs much less power and less antenna height to cover more area than a TV station on channel 69 running higher power and taller antenna.

Police radios of the 1940's, and 50's used spectrum below TV channel 2 which didn't require tall antennas and repeater stations to be able to communicate. Now, in the modern era, at the higher spectrum, those are required or you do not talk to anyone.

The spectrum that New Orleans needed to be using is still available to public service agencies in the spectrum below TV channel 2. But no one is using them anymore. So while more higher spectrum may be needed, in New Orleans case, if EVERY frequency that they will be getting from the transition were available and on line, New Orleans would still have the same problems they did; no electricity, flooded out facilities and downed towers.

Chairman Kean is a politician, not a communications expert, and it shows in this case and Senator McCain is showboating..