News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS58 2005-06 Equipment and Switching Failures

Started by Joseph S, Monday Sep 19, 2005, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph S

Switching Failures:

Miscellaneous -
Daily - Numerous recent switching episodes from the superior national HD upconvert to local inferior upconvert in the middle of programming. Not just during commercials, this is happening during programs.

Threshold:
9/16/2005 - Threshold - Switched out of HD in final minute of the show (9:58)

Criminal Minds:
9/23/2005- Criminal Minds - Switched out of HD in final minute of the show (9:59)

Numbers:
9/24/2005- Numbers - Switched out of HD at 9:57:20ish

Joseph S

AndrewP

Switched to SD three minutes before the end of Numbers. I wonder why they are doing this. Maybe the person who is switching has something to do also during the 10pm news?

Joseph S

Hadn't gotten around to it, but yes the same thing during Numbers as well. All three of these ended around 10.

Is there some sort of automatic switch doing this or some news guy as above?? CBS used to be at commercials by this point in prior years.

There was also a "Loss of input signal" at the start of Ghost Whisperer too.

Joseph S

12/23/2005 - Close to Home - Lopped off over a minute of the show running local promos  instead of flipping the switch eliminating a huge chunk of dialogue essential to the plot.

Joseph S

Another last segment screwup on tonight's CSI Miami if not longer.

Joseph S

Major equipment failure tonight. Every HD minute of Ghost Whisperer was either "Loss of input signal" or "Green Grid Overlay." The rest was SD. We had an entire 5 minute portion of the second to last segment in "Green Grid."

Other note:
Not only are the multicasting pixelation issues more obvious... In checking my older recordings, we're getting on 1.8-2.1Mbps lower average bitrate since the add/remove of 58-3. More than 4Mbps are going to the worthless SD channel I have blocked on my OTA tuner.  :mad:

Joseph S

Letterman not in HD tonight? Crappy signal too. Why? Some part up there frozen??

Mark Strube

I don't understand... can't they see how bad their image looks with the lowered bitrate? Do they only monitor this stuff on 25" screens or something? (And even then I'm sure you'd be able to see the issues when high motion comes along.) Multicasting along with an HD channel is so wrong. :bang:

SRW1000

Quote from: Joseph SLetterman not in HD tonight? Crappy signal too. Why? Some part up there frozen??
I noticed the same problem.  I actually switched to a different program because of it.

Scott

bradsmainsite

We are 3 years from the cut date how long can this go on :confused:

Joseph S

RS922

Friday's HD broadcast (2/17) of the Young and Restless had issues....the first half ran, then suddenly the show started over again at 11:30.  Either the receiver or master control switched to the eastern time zone feed that starts Y/R at 11:30.  At the top of the hour they just switched out of the first half and went to local commericals and then the next program.

Tom Snyder

It's not just the HD channel... Watching CBS Sunday morning, and there commercials popping in the middle of program segments, commercial breaks that ran long and joined a segment in progress, 5-10 seconds of black screen... This was on Channel 58 analog.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Joseph S