• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Computer Brain Surgens anyone ???

Started by tazman, Saturday Sep 10, 2005, 09:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazman

Got a computer problem, and I am putting this out to see if anyone has a resolution to it or has come across this before.

I've got a Sony Vaio notebook.  Came pre-installed with Norton internet Security 2005.  The problem I have is that every time I go to shut down or reboot, I get the "END PROGRAM" ccapp.exe dialoge box.  This hanges the computer for a considerable length of time before rebooting or shuting down.  I spent a good hour online with one of Symantecs techs to try and solve this without any luck.

What I have done so far is to clear the temp folder and to make sure that NAV is not set to scan a floppy drive on shutdown.  This is posted in their online tech paper.  Also made changes to the registry per their tech.  This still did not resolve the issue.

If I do not run or load any programs, then It will shutdown or reboot just fine.  If I run any program at all then go to shut down or reboot, the "END PROGRAM" ccapp.exe dialoge box comes up and the computer hanges there.

Any ideas :)

waterhead

I've had Norton interfere with programs too. The best thing you can do is to get rid of Norton COMPLETELY!

I switched to Trend Micro Internet Security PC-cillin. This progam has been rated as the best, and I totally agree. And, it doesn't interfere with any of my programs.

RickNeff

Truthfully, I have to agree with getting rid of Norton if it starts causing problems. Certainly if Symantec isn't able to give you any answers.

In addition to the Trend Micro product, which is very good, you might want to also consider AVG (//www.grisoft.com) which also has a decent free version which doesn't use a lot of system resources. However, unlike Trend Micro's product, it doesn't provide a firewall or spyware protection.

kevbeck122

I've noticed that the major companies' (symantec and mcafee) internet security products are major resource hogs.  I'd go with AVG like others said, or you could be like me and run nothing (which I don't recommend).  I don't run anything because I've been virus free for many years.. so I just don't feel the extra process is worth it.

tazman

I have ZoneAlarm on one of my other computers and that seems to be a pretty good product, and yes Norton is a PIG.  I did however resolve the problem.  Completely ripped it out and cleaned the registry.  Then reinstalled,  no more problem, for now that is.  This is my younger Sons notebook and he needs it right now for college.  Hopefully he won't have another problem with it as far as Norton goes until next summer when the Norton Sub is up on it.

Iv'e got subs on other Norton products on other computers that are probably not going to be renued.  What kinda ticks me off is that in Microsofts case, you buy XP and activate it once.  With these other guys you also have to do that, plus every year there after. :mad:   It's not like people are pirating their software with the new licensing sceme they use now.  I mean, one Microsoft is enough.  :guns: