• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Antennas on the roof

Started by bradsmainsite, Monday Sep 12, 2005, 07:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradsmainsite

Ok hears the big question lets see where this goes.  This should be a lot of fun!

What and who decided that an antenna on the roof is unsightly, and is it really
or was it just started by someone (cable companies?) and it just spread for some
various reason unkown by anyone and suddenly became some fad or trend! :confused:

Someone tell me what is so bad about an antenna on your roof because simply
put I DON'T GET IT!

OK people bring it on :p

waterhead

I used to live in southeast Florida, where homeowner's associations rule the neighborhoods. Although I lived in a trailer park, the rules were similar. I could not put an antenna or dish outside, if cable TV was available to me. I had a simple "T" FM antenna mounted to the outside of my trailer, and they made me take it down.

It seems to me that this is the attitude that prevails around here. Cable companies are happy to confirm this attitude. (just my opinion)

Engineer

I for one think antennas look cool and enhance the look of any house.  The bigger the better.

Ralph Kramden

I think you're in the minority thinking roof antennas look cool, and enhance the look of the house. You sound like an antenna salesman/installer.
I didn't want my antenna on the roof because eventually it will leak. The same goes for satellite dishes. I mounted mine to a 4X4 corner post on my pergola in backyard.

Gregg Lengling

Just so everyone knows there is a Federal Premption Law that voids local ordinances and HomeOwner Assoc. Covenents regarding TV antennas and DBS satellite dishes.  I know many persons who have since added roof top antennas since this was made law, even though the Covenents and Restrictions on their subdivision said they couldn't.

Just an FYI.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

bradsmainsite

When installed properly on the roof it WILL NOT leak.  Have seen installs that
have been up for over 50 years around here that are not even close to leaking
yet, so throw that one out the window!

Thanks for the clarification on rules for putting up antennas Greg.  There is
also a section on the fcc's website that addresses this and have sent many
association presidents to this section and have never heard from them again! ;)

mhz40

I agree, a properly installed roof mount should never leak.  Although they are not ugly, they surely don't qualify as public art either... {fart}

PatM

Quote from: Ralph KramdenI didn't want my antenna on the roof because eventually it will leak. .
It sounds like you didn't know what you were doing.
I have never had a leak from an antenna installation in over 45 years!!

tazman

Quote from: EngineerI for one think antennas look cool and enhance the look of any house.  The bigger the better.

Some of us are so proud of our collections, we put um high up on towers for everyone to enjoy. :wave:  :D

AndrewP

It is a matter of necessity. If indoor antenna works then why install an attic or roof antenna. If indoor antenna doesn't work and attic antenna works then why install a roof antenna. If indoor and attic antenna do not work then istall a roof one. :D

Ralph Kramden

Thanks for that unjustified shot PatM. Maybe you should read my post again. I DID NOT say I installed an antenna on my roof and it leaked. I said I didn't want my antenna on my roof because eventually it will leak. I was told this by a couple of antenna installers when I was getting prices. I installed it myself though, because the prices were ridiculous. I agree with Andrew, that a roof antenna is a last choice.

PatM

Sorry I ruffled your feathers.
It was an unintentional  poor choice of words.
As for the desirability of a outdoor antenna,  the only drawback I can see besides the sight of it on your roof is the need to adequately ground the array for lightning strikes.
Once this is done, the "cone of protection" will actually go a long way to protect your home from ligntning.
As I said before, I have never had a leak due to a roof mounted antenna.
The main thing is to make sure the bolts go into something more solid than the roof boards, so that things don't loosen up.
If I can't hit the rafters, I make sure to have a backer board under the roof boards to provide a solid anchor that will not pull loose and allow a leak ( or worse -movement of the antenna)

waterhead

Drain vents always go through the roof, do these always eventually leak?
The answer is NO!
A properly mounted antenna should last the life of the shingles.

So, let's dispell that myth right away.

borghe

I agree about the indoor and attic antennas first, though that is just me personally and from a matter of convenience. I like to do everything myself, and an indoor antenna is obviously the easiest followed by an attic. If I can't do either of those (because they weren't strong enough) I would have an installer put up a rooftop (which is what I did).

I think most are like this. It's a matter of convenience. people who actually think antennas are unsightly are honest to goodness cable zombies, and all that implies. I think most would rather just not go through the hassle or expense of putting one up especially if they don't have to.