• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC 8300HD DVR digital audio?

Started by TPK, Monday Aug 29, 2005, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

Hello...

I have TWC with the newer 8300HD PVR...

I also have a yamaha receiver, and I have the PVR hooked up to a coaxial digital input on the reciever

Am I going crazy, or is this box no longer outputting audio in dolby digital???

My reciever has a 'display' button, which shows me (I believe) the format of the audio it is receiving...  It used to show me "dolby Digital", but now it shows me "PCM fs : 48k"... I am not sure what that means...  It would also show me something like "3/2/1", which meant 3 front channels, 2 rear channels, and 1 subwoofer channel... Now it doesnt show me that anymore...

The reciever would usually switch modes (I could even hear it 'click') when I switched channels on the PVR box...  Now it just always stays in PLII mode...

Also, I am not entirely sure if I did something to the configuration of this reciever, so this may be my fault, and not necesarily something awry with the 8300 PVR, which is why I wanted to ask this in here, to see if anyone else has had the same problem and noticed the same thing....

At first I thought I just hit a period of time when no channel was broadcasting in dolby digital, but then I went back into the PVR listings and looked at some of the older recordings I made that I know used to be in dolby digital, and my reciever still shows the "PCM" string when I hit the display button...

I used to be able to hit the 'surround mode' button and choose between decoding sound in dolby digital, but now when I hit that button it lets me select through a myriad of PLII (Pro-Logic 2?) modes, which I know isnt as good as dolby digital...

So, am I doing something wrong here?? Or is this a problem with the 8300HD DVR???

TPK

To answer my own post...

I rebooted the 8300HD PVR (holding power button down for 5 seconds), and it seems that its all better now...

The reciever is displaying "Dolby D" on the HDNET channel...

.... Can someone please smack me in the head??

Mark Strube