• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Kenosha, DirecTV & off air antenna

Started by psubill78, Sunday Aug 21, 2005, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psubill78

OK, DirecTV came out and installed the off air antenna for us because we wanted to get Chicago locals (milwaukee ones aren't that great in my opinion)...

The antenna is mounted, pointed, and the directv box shows signal on some of the chicago locals (fox 32, wgn 9, etc)...

BUT, they aren't showing up in the guide. It almost seems that since the DirecTV is setup for the Milwaukee stations - that it only shows milwaukee locals in the guide.

Does any one have DirecTV with an off-air, and getting Chicago locals to show in their guide? If so, did u need to do anything special?

The DTV box is the HD Tivo....

Thanks to anyone with insight...

Gregg Lengling

go and set up your receiver again and put it in to set it up for both Milwaukee and Chicago..it only downloads what you tell it to.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

psubill78

Quote from: Gregg Lenglinggo and set up your receiver again and put it in to set it up for both Milwaukee and Chicago..it only downloads what you tell it to.

I had it do a rescan for channels, and I see the channels now in the guide (some of them - I'm still not getting everything I think I can get - DTV really screwed me on the antenna they put up)..

My guide just says "Regular Schedule" for all the Chicago local channels :(  Will that eventually update?

borghe

no, you have to go into setup and set your local area for Chicago. I believe you are still considered for Milwaukee viewing by your zip code. I would have to wait to get home to tell you exactly where to go, but if you are adventerous enough to look on your own I believe you first select your state and then your city (not zip code). Can tell you more after work today.

scanning just goes from channel 2-69 and searches for a digital signal on each channel.

psubill78

Quote from: borgheno, you have to go into setup and set your local area for Chicago. I believe you are still considered for Milwaukee viewing by your zip code. I would have to wait to get home to tell you exactly where to go, but if you are adventerous enough to look on your own I believe you first select your state and then your city (not zip code). Can tell you more after work today.

scanning just goes from channel 2-69 and searches for a digital signal on each channel.

I didn't see any settings like that. This is on the HD Tivo...

The scanning looked thru all the channels, and added the ones that had signals to the guide.

Looking forward to you going home ;)   I'm still thinking I want to get a different antenna, they used a non-amp'ed one, and surprisingly I'm getting NBC from Chicago (5.1) at 70% signal... I think I may just need to tweak the antenna to get it higher. I'm in Kenosha - highway 50 & H

~Bill

murdoc

Check page 29 of your user manual.  

Setup Local Network Areas (Only appears if you selected "Satellite and off-air antenna" as your progam source.)  Your local network areas are used to aquire program information for your off-air antenna channels.  If you completed Guided Setup, your primary network has already been set, based on the ZIP code you entered.  Setting the secondary network is optional. You should do so if you live near another major TV market city which broadcast off-air channels your antenna can receive.

Long story short, go into "Off-Air Channel Settings" and scroll down to "Set Up local Network Areas".  Enter a Chicago based zip code and you should be all set.  The zip codes 60601 through 60699 are all Chicago based zip codes according to the US Postal Service website.

psubill78

Quote from: murdocCheck page 29 of your user manual.  

Setup Local Network Areas (Only appears if you selected "Satellite and off-air antenna" as your progam source.)  Your local network areas are used to aquire program information for your off-air antenna channels.  If you completed Guided Setup, your primary network has already been set, based on the ZIP code you entered.  Setting the secondary network is optional. You should do so if you live near another major TV market city which broadcast off-air channels your antenna can receive.

Long story short, go into "Off-Air Channel Settings" and scroll down to "Set Up local Network Areas".  Enter a Chicago based zip code and you should be all set.  The zip codes 60601 through 60699 are all Chicago based zip codes according to the US Postal Service website.

This worked, I needed to clear all, then rescan, but the guide is correct now.

Stupid DTV installer had no clue at all. I'm shocked I'm getting the Chicago locals with a non-amp'ed antenna...

:rock: