• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Milwaukee TV History Updates

Started by Dick Nitelinger, Friday Aug 12, 2005, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Nitelinger

Many of you here have read my Milwaukee TV history webpage. I thought I'd let you know that I've updated the "pre-freeze" section to include more WTMJ-TV history.

I've also identified the channels allocated to Milwaukee in 1946, and the applicants.

You may also find some comments interesting re: how the FCC's acting chief engineer in 1948 predicted that channels 2-6 would go to land mobile, 7-13 would be used for "low-definition" TV broadcasting, and the then untested UHF band would be used for "high-definition" TV.

Enjoy!

- Dick  :OnAir:

http://www.milwaukee-horror-hosts.com

Matt Heebner

QuoteOn 1 January 1954, 500 people swamped the American Appliance and TV store at 2743 North Teutonia Avenue, to watch NBC's broadcast of the Tournament of Roses parade on WTMJ-TV. The store used a Hallicrafter set which was equipped with a 12.5 inch RCA picture tube. Four police officers were needed to keep order

That is too funny !! I wish there had been that kind of hoopla when HDTV hit the market. I remember the very first time I saw HD...I was at my buddies audio/video place, and he had a 52" Toshiba widescreen hooked up to Directv with a RCA DTC-100 using a transcoder. I think Directv only had a HBO HD demo channel running...like the same images of mountains, kiyacking, etc play over nad over again. I must have sat there for like 2 hours just watching it absolutely stunned by how incredible it was.
To this day I will occasionally catch a few minutes of a show on Discovery or HDNet that really "re-defines" HD for me.

Matt

Jon.Zickermann

Being as young as I am, I don't really remember anything with TV of any sort when HDTV came in place.

I remember in the last week of '99 looking at our new (before the Toshiba HD) TV at Soundstage.  I remember big tvs ,but not necessary HD.

A year later I remember MPTV showing time fillers (in between shows) of demonstrations of HD, adverstising their display at the State Fair (?).

I first saw HD in 2001 with my parents at the (insert show name here) at a mini-home, with a rear projection TV showing a broadcast of a NHL game in HD.

The rest is history...

Dick Nitelinger

More new updates are up on that page, including the fate of WCAN-TV's construction permit and the still-born WMKE-TV of 1968.

- Dick    :OnAir:

daved

Great site!  I love all the images you've compiled to support the articles as well.  One minor suggestion, I check the site each time you have an update but there's no easy way to see what's been updated.  Maybe the updated text is colored differently along with a note at the top ("Blue type sections updated 8/29/05" or something similar.)

Dick Nitelinger

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how to handle update identification. Remember this is a labor of love for me - although the time I've spent on it is considerable.

- Dick

Dick Nitelinger

I should have more updates up this week.

There is someone who finds those updates and immediately posts some of them on Wikipedia. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes this time...

Dick Nitelinger

I now have a revised page up on the site. I'll likely add a few updates in the next few weeks as well.

Included is a lot more information on the post-freeze applications. What I use for references prior to this didn't include some of the applicants, and as such was wrong. I've now corrected all of that.

The references page has also been updated and put in proper bibliographic (as opposed to chronological) form.

http://www.milwaukee-horror-hosts.com