• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HR10-250 - I was one of the lucky ones...

Started by Steve Mann, Friday Jul 08, 2005, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mann

I'm not sure how many here might be aware of the Best Buy coupon 'controversy' that has been going on. I just started reading the thread over at the Tivo Community earlier today, but when I saw the deal folks were getting, I had to try. You see, they had a coupon in a booklet in the store that was for "50% any Tivo hardware". Well, I think this was a misprint that Best Buy had caught on to and then pulled the coupons. I went to two different BB this evening and finally found a salesman that wasn't 'too' informed on the issue. He showed me the booklet with the coupon (they were all in a box hidden away), but said they had to pull them, but didn't know why. He went and asked the manager and the manager told him they were pulled because they had expired. Well, the booklet had an expire date of 7/2/05 on the back of it, but on the coupon itself, it said 7/30/05.

When I pointed that out to the salesman, he said he thought they would have to honor it. SO... I go and pick out a DirecTV HD Tivo priced at $699.00. I carry it up to the check out and the coupon doesn't work automatically at the register, so they have to call someone over. She says the coupon was a misprint and should have only been 15% off and that they have signs up in the store stating this fact. There were no signs and I pointed that out to her. She went to look and found none. She then called the manager over and he said that the coupon is expired. I firmly pointed out that on the coupon the expire date was 7/30/05. The manager looked at the cashier and said, "Go ahead and take the coupon."

Woo hoo! I couldn't believe it. A brand new HR10-250 HD Tivo for only $349.00!

I've just got done setting it up and activating it. Man, does this blow the hell out of the lousy Panasonic HD box I had. PLUS! It records HD. I'm in heaven.

Sorry this was so long... Just had to share the experience.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Steve Mann

Quote from: BebopWill it record Mpeg-4?

Sure, didn't you hear? This is the re-issued model with that capability built right in.

[ask a smartass question, get a smartass answer]

To be serious... for the price I paid (I would never have paid the full list), I think it's work the gamble. I get my local stations off-air. Mpeg-4 is not going to affect me for awhile if ever. And if it does, I'm confident D* will compensate me in some manner when the box needs replaced. Based on what I've heard and read, and at $350 I think I'm safe for the next couple of years.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

murdoc

That is a nice steal.  Mind sharing which BB lost their a$$ on that one?

Steve Mann

Quote from: murdocThat is a nice steal.  Mind sharing which BB lost their a$$ on that one?

That would have been the one on Bluemound Rd in Brookfield.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

gparris

I remember getting a standard Tivo (before they came in the HD flavour) a few years back at CC when the sale price was $199  from $399 and the rebate popped out of the register for $200 off...made it free (except for the tax part). :D

Certainly, the HD Tivo is going to be replaced in a year or less with the new MPEG-4 unit, depending how the HD Nationals are going to be delivered and of course, our HD LiLs later in 2006, for sure to keep customers.  :D
The replacement will have to be free with a two year commitment or there could be a reduced charge....but for now...good deal!  ;)

Steve Mann

Quote from: gparrisThe replacement will have to be free with a two year commitment or there could be a reduced charge....but for now...good deal!  ;)

Yup, I figured at $350 it was worth it for what could be two years or so. Since I'll be accessing my HD locals off-air, I bet I'll get more time than we think before the box is obsolete. Plus, as you mention, D* will likely compensate me fairly well when it does come time to replace it.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

Bebop

Hope you received credits too for activating a new receiver.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Heynow

I also got the same deal today. I had to go to 3 different BestBuy stores before I found one willing to accept the coupon. I started out in Brookfield, and they had the sign up by the units, informing people of the mistake, and that the Directv tivo units were not part of the sale.

So off I went to Tosa, no sign there, but when I got to the checkout, the cashier scanned the coupon, and of course it didnt work. So she got the store manager, and he explained to me that the Directv tivo's were NOT part of the promotion.....I tried to get him to see my side of the stroy, as the coupon says nothing of this.....But he wouldnt have any of it.

I figure I will try one last store....what the hell....3 strikes, and I would have given up. So I stopped at the Greenfiend store. Once again, no sign......So I grabbed the last HR10-250 from the shelf, and as soon as I had picked it up, the home theatre dept manager, and a regular employee walked up and asked if i wanted to check out in the back of the store in the Theatre Dept........So I am like sure! They both are standing there, and she rings it up, and i hand her the coupon, and she imediatly looks at the manager, and he says "GO AHEAD"........Woo Hoo  :rock: , so I got the deal, they were both very nice about the whole thing, and explained to me that the coupon really is NOT supposed to be accepted for the  HR10-250, but that they recieved alot of crap about it, so they honored it.

The only catch they told me was since they gave me such a great deal, I had to sign up for the "reward zone".......I figured what the hell, its only $10, and they just saved me $350...it was a no brainer.

If anyone else has one of these coupons, I would try the Greenfield store, as they were by far the nicest, and most cooperative. ;)

murdoc

Any leads to more of these infamous coupons?

murdoc

Never mind the previous post.  I just check ebay and searched "Best Buy coupon" and found a bunch of them listed for under $10.  Might have to try this out.

Heynow

Murdoc,
I also paid $10 on ebay, and it was obviously well worth it!

murdoc

Just bought a coupon yesteday for $3.99 shipped from Chicago.  Should be here in time to go shopping this weekend.  :rock:

murdoc

So does the current HR10-250 have any bugs like the older ones?  I thought I remeber seeing issues in the guide with 58-1 and 58-2.  Has this been fixed?

Off-topic: but has anyone called D* to get a $250 credit on your bill for buying the HR10-250?  Apparently if you call the retention dept. they will give you a credit for buying it.  Just mention that you would like to get the reciever locally because you would like it NOW.  I've seen a few posts on Tivo Community where they got the reciever for just over $100 total after the 50% off and the $250 credit.  $100 for a $700 unit....tell me where to sign!