• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sharp unveils largest LCD TV

Started by RLJSlick, Friday Jun 03, 2005, 08:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

StarvingForHDTV

It's a bit pricey, but that would probably be a nice display to have.

Doug Mohr

That would be so awesome!

The price is a little (OK, a lot) out of my budget, but the quicker the technology leaps, the cheaper the prices for consumers will be in the future.

I can see some executive getting one for his office, spreadsheets up on it when people are walking by and HD Movies on it during the rest of the time  :rock:

Doug

Gregg Lengling

Until they really get the manufacturing processes down pat for LCD's (esp. 1080p) the prices won't be coming down the big ones.  On Sharp's 45" LCD (1080p), they have a scrap rate of over 30% on the panels.  There is just so much to the process and number of transistors on the panels that just one bad one will cause a reject of the whole panel...and there is no way to fix the panel once it's been produced.

I think you will find that SED technology will supercede LCD's in 3 to 5 years as the technology for manufacturing them is far superior.

Just my .02 worth!
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

So, all things considered... near-term future technology, potential burn in, price, etc...  for a 55-60 inch "as-small-a-depth-as-I-can-get-so-i-can-hopefully-hang-it-on-the-wall" 1080 monitor within the next 2 years, what would you recommend?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom SnyderSo, all things considered... near-term future technology, potential burn in, price, etc...  for a 55-60 inch "as-small-a-depth-as-I-can-get-so-i-can-hopefully-hang-it-on-the-wall" 1080 monitor within the next 2 years, what would you recommend?
Without burn-in possibility (even though most current production PDP's have the jitter circuit)....nothing.  Right now the largest available LCD is 45 and I don't think it's smart to spend 15k plus for this new Sharp.  I'd wait til next January and see where SED is...it might be out and available and a little cheaper than LCD.

There are some great PDP's though and with the jitter software and not using them for News channels or games you should be okay.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

RCA has a 61" DLP with optional wall hanger-has no burn in, looks great (in the store):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781164&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03006&id=1089890284048
It maybe not be a SED or LCD, but I saw it and if it works for you, an alternative until Toshiba gets its production going for SEDs.

The info I have read indicates a 50" SED model for 2005 late or 2006...correct me if I am wrong...could there be any possible CRT-like burn-in potential with these?