• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

IR remote extender

Started by jamisonweber, Friday May 13, 2005, 10:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamisonweber

I Picked up the SA 8300 HD DVR last week and noticed that all the ports on it are active. So I decided that I was going to run an RG6 cable from one corner of the house to the other so the wife and I can watch some of the non-HD programming in the bedroom.

The only problem is that I still want to be able to fast-forward through the all the annoying commercials. To do this I need an IR remote extender and wondering what some of you are using or if you know of any good ones.

Thanks in advance

Jamwe  :wave:

jkane

I live in a RF noisy area.   I have tried 3 different IR extenders and all of them were unreliable.  :-(  I also always have problems with channels 4 and 6 being snowy.   I could add that even our cordless 900 mhz and 2.4 ghz phones are staticy from time to time.  Have a tough time with wireless networking too.  Had to build a special dish antenna for the upstairs computer to get it to have a usable signal to the router just 20 feet away downstairs.

Anyhow ... What I really find great is something called an Xtra Link.  Do a google search on it.  The company is called Xantech.  I had a problem with the first one and tech support was the most helpful I have ever seen.  It was just a bad one and they replaced it right away.  It has worked flawlessly ever since.

What is it you ask?  It's a RF inserter for your cable run that you made.  It puts the RF into the cable instead of sending it over the air.  It doesn't intefer with the video that's there already.  The kit includes in inserter to put at the TV and and an extracter that goes at the cable/dbs decoder/reciever end.  There is an IR collector with the inserter and you can buy extra ones for other TV's in the house.  At the extractor end there are a couple of mini plugs that go to those little IR blasters.  It comes with one and I have used the ones that came with other devices to make for 3 IR blasters output to different devices I want to control.

It's probably the most expensive solution.  But it works when the ones you can buy in super stores don't.