• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Bought the TV - Surround Receiver just died :(

Started by The Law, Wednesday May 11, 2005, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Law

I pick up the new TV tomorrow, however, it looks like my RCA STAV-3880 is limiting my viewing pleasure.  I've lost the "A" channels (front speakers).  I've checked wiring, moved fronts to "Surround" channel and vice versa.  Speaker and wires are good...it's the Fronts that don't work.  The receiver is 3 years old (warranty is done) so it looks like I'll have to replace.

I'd like to spend around $250 - what are you guys running?  I'd like optical, coax, sub pre-out.  I don't run the video (cable, DVD, TV) into the receiver as some do as I don't see the point - especially w/macros on my remote.

Any suggestions?  BTW, the BestBuys, etc. all sell system that include speakers.  I don't need the speakers and would rather get a better receiver than an all inclusive.

Thanks

AndrewP

Buy online, check etronics.com, they have a good selection with hard to beat prices. You'll find what you need. :)

jkane

I have a Sony STR DA50ES sitting in a box.  I used it for a few years and upgraded recently because I "needed" more inputs.    ;)   It has both coax and optical audio in, but I think only one of each which was my main reason for upgrading.  It's only 5.1.  It worked great when I boxed it up.  If you are interested, I can get you more information on it.  I think I saw one a few months ago on ebay for $300.  I'd let it go for less than that.  jeff @ kane1 . com

Oh yeah, the remote sucks.  It's cute and looks nice on a coffee table.  But it sucks batteries in less than a month at a time.  I used a universal remote.

dlhoppe

I'm running Yamaha now and love it!  I used to be a Sony die-hard fan, but the Yamaha has definately won me over.

StarvingForHDTV

picopir8

etronics is good.  I also found some good deals at onecall.

The Law

'been browsing etronics.   The prices are quite reasonable compared to the BBs, etc.  I like the fact I can just buy the receiver.

How does 7.1 work?  Do I have 4 fronts? 3 centers? 4 surround?  And is it work looking at 7.1?

jkane

5.1:
Center, left front, right front, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

6.1:
Left front, right front, left middle, right middle, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

Center, Left front, right front, left middle, right middle, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

I've only found 2 DVD's so far that have 7.1 capable sound tracks.  Seems Like Gladiator was one of them.  And the hacking through peoples body parts is pretty cool.   ;)  Is it worth it?  Hard to say.  Most of the time it's so subtle and seldom used that you won't really notice it.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: jkane5.1:
Center, left front, right front, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

6.1:
Left front, right front, left middle, right middle, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

Center, Left front, right front, left middle, right middle, left rear, right rear, subwoofer.

I've only found 2 DVD's so far that have 7.1 capable sound tracks.  Seems Like Gladiator was one of them.  And the hacking through peoples body parts is pretty cool.   ;)  Is it worth it?  Hard to say.  Most of the time it's so subtle and seldom used that you won't really notice it.

Note Jeff that on 6.1 the rears are not separate...they are one channel.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

I would use //www.dolby.com as this site shows 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 surround setups and configurations helpful to the consumer and Dolby's surround systems.

jkane

Quote from: Gregg LenglingNote Jeff that on 6.1 the rears are not separate...they are one channel.

I don't have a 6.1 setup.  So you are saying it still has a front center channel but combines the two back ones to make a single back center channel?  That's an interesting twist!  I guess it would work.  Still don't know any source to utilize it though.

6.1:
Front center, left front, right front, left middle, right middle, rear center, subwoofer.

gparris

A 6.1 channel system, if you would review the website link I offered, will show the correct setup for 6.1.
See: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
The front left and right surrounds (stereo speakers) create the front sound effects and the center channel is for the dialogue.
The back speakers in a 5.1 setup are for back surround effects and if properly aligned can cause a surround effect, these are also referred to as side surrounds in a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.
6.1 surround is placed opposite the center front and Dolby 5.1 surround, "EX" encoding uses this back center speaker as does DTS 6.1 ES and matrixed.
The 7.1 setup uses two and Gregg is explaining that there is no 7.1 as this setup uses the 6.1 for its surround effects .
IF you have Dolby ProLogic llx in your receiver like the newer ones currently out, 7.1 applies, but again it is a matrixed, not discrete, channel setup for the actual "back" surrounds.
Hope this helps explain it better.

The Law

I guess I need to buy the receiver to match the speakers.  I have the following:

1 Center Speaker:
Power Handling: 100w (RMS)
Maximum Power:  200w

2 Fronts, 2 Surround (I chose the surrounds to match the fronts in case of upgrades, whatever, etc:
Power Handling: 65w (RMS)
Maximum Power: 120w

1 Powered Subwoofer:
200w RMS

2 er....Polk Audio stereo speakers (used currently, only for CD/Radio, etc):
Rated for 250w per channel amplifiers

If I can incorporate the Polks, i'd use them in a 7.1 setup.

Do I need to purchase a receiver that pumps less than 120w or one the pumps less than 65w per channel.  Or can I get one the pumps 140w per channel and be careful?

I've been looking at the Yamaha line, per the above recommendation.  It seems there is a choice between THX and having XM ready - I would choose THX, however, it seems that the 980Watt would suit my needs unless I'm overpowering my speakers.  I don't know the difference between "Power Handling (RMS) and "Maximum Power" and I do not know if 140w per channel will kill a speaker rated at 120w "Maximum Power"

Thanks for all the help, here, BTW

ps, If I can't use the Polks in 7.1 setup, no worries.

StarvingForHDTV

Never play anything to the level where it sounds distorted and you should be safe.  I would go with the best amplifier you can afford and ignore the speaker ratings.  

Mixing different brands/models of speakers might create noticeable tonal differences and that could make the sound field appear less smooth.  There is nothing wrong with that, nothing will break.  It just might not sound as good as it could with a matched set of speakers.

TPK

Heres a nice 7.1 name brand receiver for not a whole lot of money (its a refurb thou, but does have a warranty), with lots of inputs and the whole 9 yards:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~177994.asp

I was thinking of getting this one myself...  

Can anyone see anything bad (or, good) about this one??

------

Edit:  For your convienience, Here is a link to the model on the manufacturer's site...  My guess is that the 'S' at the end of the model name on the e-cost site just means that its the silver model (as opposed to black):

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR602&class=Receiver&p=i

------

Edit 2:

Heres the black one from the same vendor for the same price, and it appears that this one has a much larger warranty for the same price....  /shrug

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/eccamera/shop/detail~dpno~496061.asp