News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SA 8000HD DVI upgrade?

Started by RHash, Tuesday May 03, 2005, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHash

Has anyone heard from TWC on when the software upgrade for the SA 8000HD will be available?

The SA site claims early to mid 2005.

It also claims the software patch can be downloaded directly to the box from TWC.

TWC claims the 8300HD has a HDMI output but does not support any audio complications.

That is why I'm interested in the 8000HD upgrade, just need the DVI.

Anybody heard more?

Ralph

summerfun

Why don't you go get the SA 8300HD?

RHash

I heard the 8300HD had a HDMI only and it can effect some surround systems adversly.

TWC said they do not support these audio problems.

Plus I'd need a converter cable (HDMI to DVI).

Finally the availability of the 8300HD was hit or miss.

My plasma is set for DVI, I have a surround system that runs on the optical output so I don't need the audio portion of the HDMI just the digital video of the DVI.

Simple solution would be the upgraded 8000HD, with the downloaded software patch.  

But if this upgrade falls into limbo then the 8300 seems like the only way to go.

Just curious to know the possibility of the 8K upgrade before I start schlepping to the Mall for an exchange and possible audio issues.

But you are right the 8300 would be the next logical step.

summerfun

Are you dead set on using the DVI input? Are you out of component connections?

Many people are under the impression that DVI is better PQ than component. Although some may swear that it is becasue of the D/A conversion, most will agree that it is not any better and unnecessary unless you are out of component connections. It also gives you an annoying flicker when you changes channels between different signal types.

kevbeck122

I saw an improvement when using DVI only because my TV's component jacks aren't of the best quality.  I can hardly tell the difference, other than the picture noise that I was having is gone.  DVI seems pretty buggy also, at least on my box (though it isn't a SA box).  I no longer have the option to choose resolutions, and my box reboots almost always when I turn it off.

summerfun

Quote from: kevbeck122I no longer have the option to choose resolutions

That is one of the biggest drawbacks to DVI. Because of that, you get a very annoying screen flicker every time you changes channels that have different signals.

Quote from: kevbeck122my box reboots almost always when I turn it off.

That is a bad box issue, not a bug issue. You had better go get a new box.

Paul S.

Quote from: RHashPlus I'd need a converter cable (HDMI to DVI).

A couple bucks on Ebay.

kevbeck122

Quote from: summerfunThat is a bad box issue, not a bug issue. You had better go get a new box.

It only has happened since I moved from component to DVI... so I just assumed it was some sort of bug.

summerfun

Quote from: kevbeck122It only has happened since I moved from component to DVI... so I just assumed it was some sort of bug.
I would try a new box and new cable. If neither fix your issue, it may be some sort of bug or compatibility between the box and your TV set. A DVI connection is actually a two way communication between your set and the box.

RHash

Quote from: summerfunAre you dead set on using the DVI input? Are you out of component connections?

Not really I have a Panasonic Plasma Monitor that allows me to change interface boards.  So I can add whatever connections I want.

I thought the DVI was a bit sharper than Component on my Voom box. Less noise but this could be box specific.

Quote from: summerfunMany people are under the impression that DVI is better PQ than component. Although some may swear that it is becasue of the D/A conversion, most will agree that it is not any better and unnecessary unless you are out of component connections. It also gives you an annoying flicker when you changes channels between different signal types.

I was running a Key Digital Leeza video processor for awhile and the DVI was the prefered way to go.

It was my impression that the DVI was a bit cleaner than Component on my Motorola Voom box.  

I'd like to compare the 2 techniques with the 8000HD given there is a DVI connector available.

I guess I'll have to wait till the software is available from TWC.

kevbeck122

Quote from: summerfunI would try a new box and new cable. If neither fix your issue, it may be some sort of bug or compatibility between the box and your TV set. A DVI connection is actually a two way communication between your set and the box.

Well I have heard of people having problems with LG DVD players freezing while using the HDMI port on this TV, so that could very well be the issue.  For me, the problem has only happened while turning the box off while watching an HD channel.

RHash - Have you tried using DVI on the box?  Some just come enabled from the start... like mine :D  It seemed when I talked to the technician when she came out to look at problems I was having that I was one out of a few that had DVI enabled and asked if I had called to request it (which I didn't).  I guess you could try that and see if they will enable it for you.

RHash

Quote from: kevbeck122RHash - Have you tried using DVI on the box?  Some just come enabled from the start... like mine :D  It seemed when I talked to the technician when she came out to look at problems I was having that I was one out of a few that had DVI enabled and asked if I had called to request it (which I didn't).  I guess you could try that and see if they will enable it for you.

I tried to set the box up with the DVI plug into the TV when I first got the system installed. I had to quickly install a component card on the Panasonic so the tech could set everything up because we were not getting any picture out of the DVI.  Once on the component interconnect the install went smoothly.  So I figured the DVI was dead but read on the SA sites the 8000HD would not get the DVI software patch till mid 2005.

So consider your self lucky. How old is your 8000HD?

kevbeck122

Actually I don't have the DVR... just the regular Pioneer HD box, but I'm planning on going with an 8300 soon since my TV has an HDMI port and I'd like a DVR.  I got my box in March, but it was used already so I don't know how old it is.

I did read about the patch enabling the DVI port and it seems in some parts of the country it has already happened, but some operators won't deploy the patch til the middle of summer.