• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cable Management Question

Started by Lebowski, Monday Apr 18, 2005, 09:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lebowski

Hello-

I bought a new house with a finished basement.  Previous owner cut a coax for the jack I need to use for my 55" HDTV and finished the drywall ceiling in the basement where I'd need to run the cable from that jack....without considering future use of that cable outlet.  I can either use my slippery noodle tool and then tack the cable around an office area in the basement and run it up to that jack (which I can get to from beneath...they left that 2'X2' area unfinished.)

Or

I can use an existing cable that pops up in the room where my tv is upstairs on one side of a fireplace...I'd have to run it around the fireplace mantle, then tack it to about 12' of woodwork over to my cable box location.

The burning question is:

If I go with the second option, does anyone know of some sort of trim/moulding/"cable concealing" device that would effectively tuck the cable in the crevice between the brick and carpeting or between carpet and woodwork?  Of course, this plastic trim/moulding couldn't be too obtrusive so the installation looks clean

I also considered using my fish tape to run a coax under the carpet (it would be about a 10' run), but I've never done that with coax...only speaker wire...  I think one would notice a 'lump' in the carpeting with coax underneath...

thanks for the advice if you have any!

mhz40

Sound like a big problem...
IMO, going under the carpet will be a long-term headache.  In fact, I would try to abandon that run and start fresh.
If you don't have a 2nd floor, what about running a new lead to the attic?  You could then fish the wire down to it's new location on the wall.
If your desired placement is on an exterior wall, I've also seen outlets run back outside, around a portion of the house & then brought back into the home again, terminating on a wall plate.

Lebowski

Thanks for that idea.  I'm going to go up there to check it out tonight.  That room has a vaulted ceiling...wonder if I'll be able to get over to the side wall...again, something I've never dealt with but I'll check it out.

Thanks