• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Charter 100% Digital

Started by GADGET71, Tuesday Apr 12, 2005, 08:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GADGET71

For those of you who are Charter Subscribers, you may have received a letter indicating that in the next "few days" they are changing to 100% digital programming, and adding Discovery HD Theater to their lineup.  The 100% digital thing would take away one of my arguments in support of going to D*.  Any Charter Subscibers have comments on this, or have noticed a difference yet?

Gadget71
________
how to roll a joint

gparris

Do they have a firm date?
What will the subs do without digital-cable-ready sets...get boxes (or adapters if they exist)?

summerfun

Maybe they will still broadcast both just like TWC does for the locals in digital. Those without boxes get the analog and those with boxes get the digital.

Gregg Lengling

It would be interesting if this is true..however I find it doubtful seeing as they don't even offer HD in Sheboygan Yet!
 :bang:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

Quote from: summerfunMaybe they will still broadcast both just like TWC does for the locals in digital. Those without boxes get the analog and those with boxes get the digital.

You're right, that is a distinct possiblity, but if that is so, why don't the other analogue TWC channels outside of 4, 6 and 58 (like 12 or 55, etc.) get sent in the better digital with a cablebox, now?

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: gparrisYou're right, that is a distinct possiblity, but if that is so, why don't the other analogue TWC channels outside of 4, 6 and 58 (like 12 or 55, etc.) get sent in the better digital with a cablebox, now?

The only channels from the analog realm that TWC is sending out in a digital mode also is just 4, 58 and 6...they haven't done any others yet.  It would be great if they, especially 55 (SciFi)...geez I hate that analog signal.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

summerfun

They only have 4, 6 and 58 becasue those stations gave them a fiber link. Channel 12 did not so they are still analog only on the system.

gparris

So to get Sci-Fi and channel 12 ABC in digital, but not HD, there has to be fiber hookup? :(
Does Directv and DishNetwork have a fiber lead to the satellite uplink (to make it digitally-delivered)? :confused:

budda

There is Digital on stations below 70, fox news cartoon network and so I believe this started on most of those stations today.

summerfun

Quote from: gparrisSo to get Sci-Fi and channel 12 ABC in digital, but not HD, there has to be fiber hookup? :(
Does Directv and DishNetwork have a fiber lead to the satellite uplink (to make it digitally-delivered)? :confused:
Can't speak about any other service, only what I have been told about TWC.

GADGET71

I emailed Charter to verify the letter and see when they expected the 100% digital and if I would get any notification, here's what they told me:

Thank you for contacting us.  We appreciate the opportunity to serve
you.
Charter has become all digital in your area.  There is nothing for you
to do to receive the service.  We are now sending a digital signal for
all channels in your area.

If you have any additional questions, please log onto our live chat 7
days a week from 8:00am to 10:00pm CST, or call one of our friendly
customer service representatives toll free at:

Wisconsin, Illinois, or Minnesota -- 1-800-581-0081
Michigan -- 1-800-545-0994

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.  

Thank you for choosing Charter Communications.

Correspondence Coordinator
Charter Communications

________
extreme vaporizer

gparris

Charter means all-digital with cable box, that is...like TWC's meager attempt at NBC, CBS and FOX (yeah, I know, fiber lines).  

But what about the other channels-does Charter have digitally-delivered Sci-Fi Channel, etc., too, with a digital cable box, for a better picture? :confused:

Have you noticed any difference?

superjfly

QuoteIt would be interesting if this is true..however I find it doubtful seeing as they don't even offer HD in Sheboygan Yet!

I know what you mean.  I spoke with a friend that works at Charter in FDL and he said HD should be available in the Sheboygan area around December.  That is about 1 million times more than I could ever get out of any CSR's.

4/25/05:  Just wanted to follow up on this:  I chatted with a CSR last night (4/24) and she said that Charter HD, and Charter DVR is scheduled to role out in September in Sheboygan.  She didn't say if they would offer an HD-DVR or not.

PWFD81

Quote from: Gregg LenglingThe only channels from the analog realm that TWC is sending out in a digital mode also is just 4, 58 and 6...they haven't done any others yet.  It would be great if they, especially 55 (SciFi)...geez I hate that analog signal.

Yea, SciFi is tough to take since the switch to TWC from DTV.  Battlestar Galactica was hard to watch on my big screen since I made the switch.  But everytime I can watch a HD show that I DVR'd it makes the analog thing a little easier.

T