• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DLP RPTVs using TI 1080p chips to hit the market by Christmas

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday Apr 08, 2005, 07:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Digital light processing (DLP) rear-projection TVs (RPTVs) using chips from Texas Instruments (TI) supporting 1080p (1920×1080 progressive scan) are expected to be introduced to the market by Christmas, according to John Van Scoter, general manager of TI's DLP Products business and senior vice president of TI.

Display makers such as Samsung Electronics, Sharp and LG Electronics (LGE) are expected to start marketing the models around the Christmas season, with the models priced at similar levels as 720p models were priced last year, Scoter said.

The 56-inch 1080p model (HLP5688W) Samsung showed at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2005 will be priced at US$5,200, according to a presentation by TI.

About 30% of the total DLP TV chips shipped by TI will go to RPTVs supporting 1080p resolution, Scoter indicated.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

This will be GREAT for all that 1080p programming out there that we can't fully appreciate yet. Seriously has the HD technology progressed so much that we are beyond 1080i and into 1080p even though there is no 1080p sources and probably won't be for about 5 years or later ???

Hey....here's an foolish idea....why don't they improve current technology so that we are getting the best of 1080i and 720p that is out there now (and if you watch any HD programming at all, you know that there is  major discrepencies between different HD programming, channels, providers, etc) ??

I am all for new technology...but I think they are jumping the gun just a little here.  Hell, I'd be satisified if Samsung coould produce a HD DVR for under $500...but hey...lets get those 1080p DLP sets out the door........ :rolleyes:

Matt

gparris

I think you get more pixels in these 1080p set than say, my 48" Mits set with 1200 x 1080 so if these can do all 1920 x 1080, great.

Also, if the set can upconvert 1080i to 1080p, it could be like going from 480i to 480p on a progressive scan DVD player...a noticable difference!

Gregg Lengling

The TI HD-2+ chip has around 1 million micro-mirrors, the new 1080 chip will have over 2 million mirrors.  The great improvement will be more noticeable on the 70" sets as the pixel size is smaller.

Sharp has a 45" LCD that is 1080p and the picture is very noticeably better than a 720p LCD.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

StarvingForHDTV

I'm definitely looking forward to these products.  

I think it will also cause other display types to move to 1080p  One advantage of 1080p is that there is no scaling of 1080i, just de-interlacing.  With 720p signals there will be scaling, but the majority of current programming is created in 1080i.

Retired

I believe there is much confusion over the meaning of resolution. When referring to a LCD/Dlp/Plasma screen it is popular to use computer meaning: 1280/640/etc. pixels accross the screen. When refering to a CRT it seems to be becoming popular to use the video definition: horizontal resolution is measured only over a width equal to the height of the picture (a square), not over the entire screen, which is wider than it is high.

This is why your mits is listed at 1200, it is actually 1920. This also serves to make the lower resolution more expensive LCD/DLP/PLasma screens seem to have a higher resolution than CRT, and they do not.

I welcome 1080p as the current best, 720p is not.

GBK

the idea is to move forward with technology we all know that whatever you buy is out of date the day you buy it.  The good thing about 1080p means you could possibly connect your pc to a display.  Also the HD DVD format could use 1080p which make the image a whole lot smoother.  2 million pixels of data instead of just 1 million+.  also we all know the benefits of progressive scan no (less) motion artifacts since the whole scene is drawn in one frame.