• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Omnifi

Started by picopir8, Friday Mar 18, 2005, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

Well if I wasnt a geek, I am now.  Two weeks ago I picked up the omfi package from //www.woot.com for $200.  They offered it twice so there is a good chance that they will offer it again so I figured I would post my experiences.

I received the package last week and finally got around to installing everything.  The package included DMS1 media streamer which streams MP3s from your PC to your home stereo over a wired or wireless connection.  It also includes the DMP1 car audio player.  The DMP1 has a 20GB HDD, head unit, and the kit also came with a wi-fi antenna so it can synch up with the computer overnight to retreive MP3s.  You can also eject the HDD and connect it directly to your PC w/ a supplied USB cable to allow it to synch even faster. Despite the fact that the wi-fi antennas are only being 802.11b, the interface is still fast enough to stream to the home unit and speed is pretty much unimportant if is synching to the car every night.  If you want faster connection, woot does have a link to a site that lists 802.11g antennas that will work with the omnifi setups.  The HDD can also be upgraded but really, 20 gig should be enough for just about any road trip.

The software allows you to rip all your CDs, create playlists, and then also acts as a server for the DMP1 and DMS1.  The software did not want to connect to the devices on my HTPC (not sure why) but works great on my other computer.

Everything appears to be working flawlessly.  I already downloaded about 8 of my albums into my car and it sounds pretty good.  I get a slight hiss when it turned up pretty loud but that could be from the fact that Im using a stock stereo (ie crap) that has an aftermarket RCA input device that tricks my stereo into thinking that the RCA inputs are actally the manufacturers CD changer.  So the his could be from the radio or this after market device.  I also want to stress that the hiss is very minor.  It would definately be quieter than any ambient road noise and not noticable while driving.

If woot offers this package again, I highly recommend picking it up.  $200 is not much to spend to get a home audio streamer and MP3 player for your car.  Plus its just cool knowing that your car connects to your wifi network!

Greg Oman

Hmmm... all I got was a Cuisenart Grind & Brew coffee maker  :rolleyes:

I was interested as I actually use an Apple Airport Express for the same kind of thing..... it does 802.11g, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.  And although I'm a pc guy, the iTunes interface does much of what you mention, except providing a piece for the car.  But there are several options for that I think....

Trunk mounted CD changer?? mmmBuBuy!!  (it broke anyway)

Greg O.

picopir8

Yeah, I definately would NOT get JUST the home omnifi box (which woot offered last week).  It works, is responsive, etc.  However there are a lot of other options out there.  The omnifi streaming software just lets you stream your music files.  If you want to listen to internet radio, then you have to pay a subscription fee, a fee mind you for stations that are free via shoutcast.  Granted you do get some other content with the subscription.  Anyway, my receiver also allows me to stream music files (and includes internet radio), however its interface is a little slower.  Ill probably stick with just my receiver though and sell the home omnifi unit on ebay.  They have been going for about $150.  If I do that then the net price for my car unit would be about $50.