• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

XM Radio

Started by ontherun, Wednesday Apr 27, 2005, 06:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontherun

I am thinking about buying satelite radio and am looking for people's thoughts.  First question is the handheld Delphi XM MyFi radio a viable option.  There are web sites advertising the radio for $200.  If I can get it for that price it seems to me that this radio with the accessories included that it could easily be used in the car, house or as a walkman type radio. I was able to find only a few reviews on the net and they are mixed.  The negative reviews complain that as a handheld reception can be iffy sometimes.
Second question is satelite radio really worth the $13  a month fee. My brother has had XM for several years and he likes it.

Tom Snyder

No experience with the MyFi, but the recording features on it sound pretty cool.  Haven't heard about the ability for a persoanl unit to hold a lock on the signal. That's what I'd be concerned about.

I have had XM for almost a year. It came built into the stereo with a car I bought. I've had a growing dissatisfaction with OTA music radio, and XM was not only a breath of fresh air, but it provided me with what I needed to stop listening to local music radio altogether.  

We got a Roadie for our other car and it was kind of a pain to latch it into and out of the holder. You also need to run an antenna wire out the window to  magnetic antenna on your roof.  Not cool if you like a neat car interior, like I do. :)

So when my other car lease expired I got built-in Satellite Radio in it, and installed the Roadie in my office. New car came with Sirius, so I'm actually one of those geeks with both XM and Sirius.

One final word... it may seem that the programming on XM and Sirius are the same.. but they're not. XM's comedy channels are light years better than Sirius, but IMHO Sirius's rock channels are better than XM's.  You can listen to samples at both services' Web sites...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mhz40

I was at the Best Buy counter a few weeks ago.  A guy was returning his.  He said he lost signal too much... including the car and in the house.

I've got a full-blown receiver in the truck.  The only time it goes out is when I back into the garage.

Take this info for what it's worth.

MHz40

kevbeck122

XM is up to $13 a month?

I think it's definitely worth the money since local radio really sucks IMO.  I'm planning on getting XM in the near future for my car because since the introduction of XM Direct, startup cost is less than $100 for the tuner and head unit interface.

summerfun

I have the Myfi. The signal is pretty weak without an antenna. The hand held antenna is not much better. But when you use the magnetic antenna and put it on the roof of the car, the signal is fantastic. Never lost.

Joel S

I've got the XM Skyfi2 receiver that I mainly use indoors.  It's a pretty nice device with the best feature for me being the FM modulator.  I'm able to listen to XM radio on just about every radio (including basement) in the house and even in the back yard.

I signed up for two years a few months ago and am only paying about $8 a month.  Of course, the price is now up to around $13 but that now does include the ability to listen on the internet to a majority of the music channels.

I've heard mixed reviews as well on the myfi.  I seriously considered getting one but the price ($350) at the time didn't justify my needs.  The reception will probably be spotty at times and the recording feature isn't all it's cracked up to be apparently.  My personal thoughts is that the Myfi is a very nice product if you need all its' features.

Also, you mentioned your brother has XM radio...  You should get on his "family plan" and then you'll only pay like $7 a month.

Todd Wiedemann

I've had XM just a bit longer than Tom.

Could not live without it anymore.

Go with XM. Not only is it great to have MLB, but I'm deeply addicted to Opie and Anthony. My goodness they're funny.

gparris

Boring commutes become a feast of all kinds of music, sports and comedy monologues to make it all the better...go XM.
The first car had it from the dealer on a used '04 model still paid for then the second car - new - just had to have it installed! Once you get used to having it you don't let it go...by the way, the second XM subscription was only $6.95 per month. :D
The only time I cannot get signal is when I go under an overpass on the west side of it, then it gets blocked momentarily.
I can go thru the Howell Ave Airport tunnel and not lose signal, however. :cool: