• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sunrocket VoIP

Started by sp44again, Tuesday Mar 29, 2005, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp44again

Anybody use this service? If not what service and how long does it take to get the phone number ported over from SBC?

mrmike

I just signed up with them.  Give me a week or so and I'll do a report.  Not porting my number until I know I like them, though.

-MM

jkool

I have had great service from Vonage. The transfer took almost 3 weeks. However, I activated call forwarding on SBC, forwarded to the temporary number from Vonage, and then disconnected SBC from the wall before the transfer was complete. Worked like a charm.

mrmike

Well, I've had SunRocket for a week now.  So far, I can't find anything to gripe about.  Setup couldn't have been easier, plugged it into my router, let the lights go blinky-blinky for a couple seconds, called it and it rang.  Voice quality is solid, though I have had a couple of instances of momentary echo when the other end is ringing, I'm assuming that's the adaptive algorithms settling into the line delays.  Haven't had it happen during any calls.  QoS seems to work OK with my router, and it hasn't caused me any issues playing onling poker or WoW that I can see.  The online call lists and voice mailbox are cool.  Caller ID has worked with the calls I've tested, time will tell whether it's as reliable as on a landline (but since half the calls I get are blocked/anon anyway it's mostly so I know when family is calling).  All in all, it's working out well.   I'm gonna give it a month or so and kill long distance on my land line completely (Need a new UPS just for the router and the VoIP box first).  

-MM

MDR

I subscribed to vonage on 3/28 and started the number transfer at that time.
SBC rec'd the xfer request on 4/26 and has set the xfer for 4/29. Vonage notified me today(4/28) confirming the xfer date.
Haven't had any problems with the service. People were unaware they were on a VoIP call till I told them. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Anyone interested in a referral(get a free month, and I get 2),I'll give you one.  :)

On a sidenote, in going through the Vonage forums some of the problems people had were related to older cable modems. IT got me thinking since I got my modem when RoadRunner first started up here (I have a SB3100).
Now i haven't had any problems with vonage or my connectivity, but what is the latest model modem available for RR now. I saw reference to a SB4100 in the forum on the RR upgrade back in January. Just curious, don't fix it if it ain't broke but covering all my bases.  ;)
Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

Bebop

I have SR for almost 2 weeks. The sound quality is better than Packet8 I'm replacing. It also has more features, cheaper ($16.6 per month) and free 911.

If you do decided to sign up, don't forget the promo code for 2 free Uniden cordless phones. Just use Google to find them.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

StarvingForHDTV

I have a SB4200 modem.  I don't know if it's the latest, but it is fast.

kevbeck122

Quote from: MDROn a sidenote, in going through the Vonage forums some of the problems people had were related to older cable modems. IT got me thinking since I got my modem when RoadRunner first started up here (I have a SB3100).
Now i haven't had any problems with vonage or my connectivity, but what is the latest model modem available for RR now. I saw reference to a SB4100 in the forum on the RR upgrade back in January. Just curious, don't fix it if it ain't broke but covering all my bases.  ;)

Some of my friends who just got RR have been getting the SB5100, so that might be the latest.

I have the SB3100 and I get 4.9 mbps down with no problems, so I'd assume you'd be getting the same... I wouldn't worry about getting the latest modem unless you're having problems.

picopir8

I signed up for the 2 free phone deal through sunrocket a few weeks back.

https://www.sunrocket.com/sign_up/promo_code.do?promoCode=HLbfrhh

I dont need the phones but, hey, they will make a good gift.  Anyway, I have been very pleased with sunrocket.  I was content with vonage but sunrocket offers the same thing at a fraction of the price, plus they throw in a second phone number and $3 worth of international calls for free.

I do have a few MINOR complaints though.  My sisters cell phone showed the name and number on my caller ID with vonage however sunrocket only shows the number and the name is "Anonymous".  Also port 68 on the box shows up as "closed" instead of stealthed.  However, if you put the box behind a router or firewall you can close and stealth that port.  I guess the box does not really need that port to function properly.  I have not verified this myself, Im going by what I read in a newsgroup.  Considering everything sunrocket offers for only $16.58/mo, I figure I can live with and work around these two minor annoyances.

Matt Heebner

I am very interested in VoIP. Does anyone know how this would work with Directv ??? We do order PPV on occasion and I would not like to lose that. However...I really like the idea of a $20/mo phone bill.

Matt

Gregg Lengling

It just works like a regular phone, instead of phone line you feed the phones in your house from the cable modem.  You shouldn't notice any difference than with a hard wire phone.  I've had TWC Digital Phone for a month now and love it.  With the package pricing I got, I pay about 25 a month for the phone service, unlimited calls and LD in US and Canada.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

mhz40

Quote from: Matt HeebnerI am very interested in VoIP. Does anyone know how this would work with Directv ??? We do order PPV on occasion and I would not like to lose that. However...I really like the idea of a $20/mo phone bill.

Matt
TW Digital phone can't do FAX yet.  Not sure about standard dial-up stuff.  Seems to me you may have problems if you need data.  Other 1-offs can be possibly addresses by others..
Good luck!

Bebop

Quote from: Matt HeebnerI am very interested in VoIP. Does anyone know how this would work with Directv ??? We do order PPV on occasion and I would not like to lose that. However...I really like the idea of a $20/mo phone bill.

Matt

Don't seem to work with my Directv, but you can always order your PPV from their web site.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

MDR

I don't have directv but the Vonage forums talk about a fix for vonage to work with it.
Here's the link  http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic5493-0-asc-0.html

have used Vonage for 6 weeks so far and am glad i got it. Haven't experienced any problems and when i did call custumer service with questions i didn't experience any of the horror stories about bad service you find in some of the posts.
Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone