• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8300HD DVR Users Thread

Started by Mark Strube, Sunday Feb 27, 2005, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Grall

Quote from: Mark StrubeWell, first I'd switch to Road Runner... I used to have EarthLink but then I found out if I switch to RR, it's $34.95/mo for a year, and then $40/mo after that since we have digipic 2000. (you don't need dp2000 to get the 34.95 deal)

As far as I know, this is the most economical you can get:

DIGIPiC 1000 - $49.95
HD Package - $6.95
Digital Box - $7.95
HD DVR - $6.95
Road Runner - $34.95

TOTAL: $106.75 + taxes

Hmmm... That's what I was afraid of... My wife and I both use our earthlink e-mail accounts, so it would kind of suck for us to change.

Thanks for the advice though.

Would you know, by chance the price of Digital Access?  Would that change the price of the DVR?

Mark Strube

Actually, when I called Earthlink to cancel the service, they asked if I'd like to keep my Earthlink email... so it may not be a problem!  :wave:  (Or heck, switch to Gmail like the rest of the world! I'll send ya a couple invites if you like  :D )

I'm pretty sure you need a Digipic plan to get the HD package (the wonders of tiered service plans). However, I'm not sure if you need a Digipic plan to get just the DVR.

Andrew Grall

Quote from: Mark StrubeActually, when I called Earthlink to cancel the service, they asked if I'd like to keep my Earthlink email... so it may not be a problem!  :wave:  (Or heck, switch to Gmail like the rest of the world! I'll send ya a couple invites if you like  :D )

I'm pretty sure you need a Digipic plan to get the HD package (the wonders of tierd service plans). However, I'm not sure if you need a Digipic plan to get just the DVR.

Already have gmail... But we have been primarily using the Earthlink ones.  Just seems more "professional".

I bet Earthlink charges like $9.99/mo to keep just e-mail.

Actually, I used to have Digital Access and the HD package, so it's possible.  I suppose I could call and check on the pricing, or maybe just stop in to the Mayfair office sometime.  If I am switching out the cablecard for a DVR, can I return the cablecard myself or does someone need to "uninstall" it for me?

Does the vendor you guys are using sell straight HDMI cables too?  My TV has HDMI inputs.

Mark Strube

Ahh ok I didn't know... "technically" you're supposed to have a Digipic plan to get the HD package, but I know they make special deals all the time. No idea if Earthlink wanted to charge me to keep my email, although I got the impression that they were going to do it for free. I said no because I never really used the account anyways.

I would assume you could easily return the cable card to the office... you can do that with a cable box or cable modem (I even did it with my Earthlink modem) so I don't see why you couldn't with a card, but I suppose it's always safe to check.

Here's a different seller (but with great feedback) selling straight HDMI cables:
http://search.ebay.com/hdmi-dvi_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQfrppZ50QQsorefinesearchZ1QQfromZR10QQsofindtypeZ15QQsatitleZhdmiQ20-dviQQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZ53122QQsellerZ1QQsassZmashy76QQfsopZ3QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch
That's a link that will display just the straight HDMI cables from only that seller (filtered out all the DVI & other cables using the search).

Paul S.

Got my box today, just waiting on the cable to set it up and see! I like the new store they have there at Mayfair. I think they could use a few more LG sets lmao!

Mark Strube

The new store is great... it's the annoying problems that come with the new locale that bug me... the terrible parking and long walk in for example (sucks if it's bad weather and you're carring a couple boxes all the way thru the parking lot heh).

gparris

Quote from: Paul S.Got my box today, just waiting on the cable to set it up and see! I like the new store they have there at Mayfair. I think they could use a few more LG sets lmao!

Since they introduced the 8000HD you have been wanting the HDMI/DVI active in the DVR boxes and now since the 8300HD is, I was waiting for you to change your signature pending your success with this new box.
Afterall, your HDTV was calibrated (by the best) using that port and now, you get hopefully what you want. :cool:
Advise us as to how it works for you and any other features you like about it  and change your signature....thanks! :wave:

Paul S.

Quote from: gparrisSince they introduced the 8000HD you have been wanting the HDMI/DVI active in the DVR boxes and now since the 8300HD is, I was waiting for you to change your signature pending your success with this new box.
Afterall, your HDTV was calibrated (by the best) using that port and now, you get hopefully what you want. :cool:
Advise us as to how it works for you and any other features you like about it  and change your signature....thanks! :wave:

Who are you, the Sig Police?  :rofl:

I'll change it as soon as I can use it- I'll probally won't get the cable for a few more days (I just ordered it on Sat). I can't wait to use this damn thing!

Mark Strube

I'm really interested to know if you notice a difference in PQ, since you're going directly from the pioneer dvi to the new dvr dvi.

gparris

Quote from: Paul S.Who are you, the Sig Police?  :rofl:

I'll change it as soon as I can use it- I'll probally won't get the cable for a few more days (I just ordered it on Sat). I can't wait to use this damn thing!

Ha Ha, Paul S....no police here, just curious because you were seemed to want that interface due to your set's  good calibration, originally and I thought you already had your cabling since you have been pushing the site to buy them on. :D

I am sure that Mark Strube and I certainly would appreciate your input on the connections and feel on the newest box from TWC.

Thanks in advance!  :wave:

Paul S.

Quote from: gparrisHa Ha, Paul S....no police here, just curious because you were seemed to want that interface due to your set's  good calibration, originally and I thought you already had your cabling since you have been pushing the site to buy them on. :D

I am sure that Mark Strube and I certainly would appreciate your input on the connections and feel on the newest box from TWC.

Thanks in advance!  :wave:

Youse guys will be the foist to know!

dicktwi

Quote from: Mark StrubeI just got my cable in the mail today. HDMI -> DVI-D (w/HDCP) works beautifully. ......
I too was curious to try the DVI input on my tv with the 8300 so I went and bought an expensive Monster HDMI/DVI cable to try it out.  As Mark said, it worked beautifully.  But...after comparing component video vs dvi video on many channels, I came to the same conclusion as many others on the AVS forums, namely that, with the Sony LCD WEGA sets, there is no discernible difference in video quality between component and dvi.  If someone can see a difference then it's too insignificant for me to spend the money for a dvi cable.  I'm returning the cable tomorrow.
Oh...I found that the component, dvi and S-video outputs are all active at the same time and the coax digital out to my receiver was still outputting DD 5.1.
Dick Teschendorf
Sony Grand WEGA 60" LCD Rear-Projection HDTV KF-60WE610

Mark Strube

Quote from: dicktwiIf someone can see a difference then it's too insignificant for me to spend the money for a dvi cable.  I'm returning the cable tomorrow.
Oh...I found that the component, dvi and S-video outputs are all active at the same time...

First of all, we've mentioned this price issue several times, which is why myself and others have provided links to much more reasonably-priced cables. Personally, since I would like to hook up my DVD player and Xbox thru component, and since I only have 2 component ports on my tv, using the DVI just makes sense. And compared to the component, I've noticed a thin barely-noticeable amount of analog noise is no longer there. While it's probably not always noticeable, I like going for the best quality possible... within budget & reason.

Secondly, I've also mentioned, earlier in this exact thread nontheless, that all the ports are active at the same time... next time please read these threads more thorougly, that would avoid all this repeated information (and possibly avoid wasting gobs of money on DVI cable... good luck returning it if it's not defective, guess it depends where you bought it).

Paul S.