• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Consumer Reports is out with H-D-T-V buying guide

Started by Gregg Lengling, Wednesday Feb 16, 2005, 01:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Plasma, L-C-D's, C-R-T's and H-D-T-V -- it's enough to drive some back to the old black-and-white.

Consumer Reports electronics editor Paul Reynolds says you can make wise choices when you shop for a high-definition television, even those high-end L-C-D and plasma sets that can cost up to four-thousand dollars.

Reynolds says "Consumer Report's Five Step H-D-T-V Guide" includes determining how big a "big screen" your house can handle. The Guide also compares the different types of high-definition televisions that are on the market and how you can save money if you prefer going with a traditional television set that contains digital technology.

Finally, Reynolds says, for those still using the old T-V, there's no need to rush out right now and buy H-D-T-V, since the final shift to digital is several years in the future.

Tim Maguire, A-P correspondent, with Paul Reynolds, Electronics Editor, Consumer Reports

Home Entertainment Update: Consumer Reports is out with a guide to help de-mystify the purchase of a High Definition Television set.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

And frankly lets face it...Consumer Reports is THE leading HDTV information source out there..... :rolleyes:

Matt

Ralph Kramden

Matt, at least you're getting an unbiased opinion. When was the last time you read a negative review about a TV in one of the "experts" magazines? They have to kiss the advertiser's asses.

gparris

The unbiased opinions at CR really threw me as my Sony rated not as good for black levels, etc that I have not seen vs. their observations...a failure on their part.

The models they liked were maybe unbiased in their studies, but they're just some people who, IMO, have just that-an opinion, but I did not read into the scientific analysis given to make their "judgements".  Very good vs Excellent for picture and DVD play vs. HD display are again, judgement calls.
I felt like cancelling my subsciption after reading their so-called "ratings" :rolleyes: .

Matt Heebner

True to some extent. But I just wish people in the "general public" knew about much better and more reliable information sources for such things, such as Audioholics, and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. Something they review carries alot more weight with me than a publication like CR. Wanna know whats the best washing machine or vacuum cleaner...read CR. Want to know the best sounding HTiB for under $1000, or the best looking, feature packed DLP TV ? Go to AVS Forum or Hometheaterforum.com, or pick up an issue of The Perfect Vision (where I have read many negative reviews of equipment!)

Matt

audiopile

The essential problem I find with CR is that somehow their  no advertising policy has become equated with them being a knowledgible authority on all things consumer purchasable.
       After 25 years  selling and servicing consumer electronics - I can attest to their track record for check rating absolute crap from a reliability point of view. A freind of mine with long experience in the camera buisness also has many a sad tale of best buys from these folks flooding service departments.
      Possibly more telling was the information that came out of Bose suing them some years ago. Before this suite was dismissed on first amendment grounds - Bose's lawyer/engineer did get CU 's audio engineers/testers to testiffy and withstand cross examination. The gist of this was that while Consumer reports was consistent  in their loudspeaker testing facility and procedures - they could not relate the results of these tests to the final sound or music reproduction capabilities of ANY loudspeaker.!             CU line appeared to be "we test 'em all the same - therefore it's a valid test" .
       If they had just said Bose speakers are overpriced and sound bad - I would have had no arguement - but wrapping it in some quasi/bad science paper bag just don't make it so!

bubbaridesfast

Once upon a time I used to lend a lot more credence to CR findings. Then 20 years ago in my serious audiophile days the CD player came out and I read CR reporting that it doesn't make any difference which player you buy except for the features because since it's digital, all players will sound the same. I imagine even they have changed that tune by now.
This always made me think twice about their comparisons for anything including vacuums and air conditioners. I feel they are only good for reporting reliability figures based on their surveys. If they aren't experts in audio they probably aren't experts in anything. No one can qualify as experts in all of the fields CR tries to cover. Just my 2 cents worth.

tazman

I guess, being that I am not a CR subscriber and I also am not familiar with their quote un quote NO ADVERTISING POLICY.  The mere fact that a companies product gets a review, good or bad is for the most part more advertisment for their product than what they could hope to get from any paid direct advertisment in such a publication.  CR may get kick backs from these companies or they may not, I don't know that.  One would have to wonder if the products tested are donated by the manufacturers or if they are purchased by CR.  In any event I would tend to lend more creadence to reviews done by publications specializing in such products.  As for myself to be a knowlegable consumer, I would read the publications that specialize in those products and then go to the stores and compare for myself.  IMO anyways. :)

SVD

After looking through my issue, I saw Sony at the top of virtually every category.  Neither the Toshiba DLP nor the JVD DILA performed very well.  

I dismissed the issue.

ALSO- Dismiss anything the Matt Heebner has to say as well.  I heard he got banned from the HTF.