• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Times Cinema needs your help

Started by borghe, Wednesday Feb 23, 2005, 06:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borghe

I don't feel this is an advertisement so much as a plea for help. Obviously if the mods feel otherwise they can lock or delete this. Here is the situation. The Times Cinema has apparently come on some hard times. :( As the message below says, they are in danger of having to close their doors forever, and on the eve of their 70th anniversary no less.

I am posting this in the off chance that there are a few of you out there who never knew about this gem of a theater or who might have just never gotten around to going yet figuring you would always make it there "someday". A place where you can see an evening movie for $4.50, and are virtually ALWAYS guaranteed a great show. They have a friday night movie that is usually more subversive, and to boot they show occasional double features with two movies for $4.50.

The theater is the last of a dying breed. I hope at least even one member sees this and decides to give it a look.

//www.timescinema.com (link fixed)

QuoteAs the Times approaches its 70th anniversary, it pains us to report that the theatre is in imminent danger of never reaching that landmark in its long and colorful history.

Without an increase in support from Milwaukee -- from you -- the Times Cinema will close and exist only as a vivid memory in the minds of those who have been our loyal friends for the last twelve years.

We recognize and understand the appeal of DVDs and HDTV, realize that these technologies furnish yet another motivation to stay home, to insulate oneself from the crowds, the overpriced admissions and concessions that are de rigueur at most moviehouses -- yet this isn't what we are about. The Times is an affordable and intimate place, far removed from the somewhat rushed and impersonal atmosphere you'll find at many multiplexes. And a quick perusal of our calendar will tell you that we offer the most interesting and eclectic collection of films of any theatrical venue in Milwaukee.

So please, if you would, consider the Times when you are looking for entertainment -- or, dare we say it? -- enlightenment.

Sue, Eric, Marsha, and Mark

Upcoming Schedule
2/18-2/24 The Birds
2/25-3/3 Undertow
3/4-3/10 Them! / The Incredible Shrinking Man (Double Feature)
3/11-3/17 Play Time
3/18-3/24 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
3/19 The Phantom of the Opera (One night only)

Friday Night Freakshow
2/18 2/25 Ali G Indahouse: The Movie
3/4 3/11 Spike and Mike's 2005 Sick & Twisted Festival of Animation
3/18 3/25 The Warriors
4/1 4/8 Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke
4/15 4/22 The Dark Crystal
4/29 5/6 Napolean Dynamite

Of course this thread doesn't have to be completely shameful... we can actually talk about classic movies in general here. :)

picopir8

Ill definately be there for all of the April shows.

Ralph Kramden

Bebop

It's like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo here. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

StarvingForHDTV

The next time I'm in New Zealand I will try it out.  BTW, I have never been to New Zealand......

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

borghe

I should point out that the Friday Night Freakshows are Friday night only (duh :P ) and at midnight. They are well worth it and probably the only chance you have of seeing some truly great cult status movies on the big screen, but keep in mind that they are only on fridays and only at midnight. each movie usually runs for two fridays in a row.

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: Tom Snyder59th and Vliet

You should tell that to the people who made the website!  I thought I had to go to New Zealand.....

PatM

The link in the first post was incorrect- a "s" was left out.

http://www.timescinema.com/

is correct

StarvingForHDTV

Thanks for posting the correct link.  I thought the website designer or borghe was high on crack.  The real link and website makes a lot more sense!

RobbQ

I only recently "discovered" the Times, which means that I have been meaning to go for years and finally did.  Within the last few months I've seen a Rear Window/Rope double feature and Lawrence of Arabia.  It is a great old theater with decent prices on the concession food.  My wife is still trying to figure out if they actually used real butter on the popcorn.  I would hate to see it go away.  

Don't forget to go to the website and vote on a movie you would like to see there.  I think that most of their older movies are there by request.  While I prefer most new movies in my home theater I still love to see old movies on the big screen.

PatM

I have fond memories of the Times
I lived a block away during the 40's and 50's.
When I was a kid we used to get into the Saturday matinee for a dime.
By the late 40's we used to go twice a week, but the price had gone way up.
Fifty cents for admission - twenty five cents for popcorn.
Those days will never come back!!