News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Question about the SA8000 HD DVR

Started by Tom Snyder, Sunday Feb 06, 2005, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

So... I'm recording the Super Bowl. At half-time, I have to take my son home.  So I switch the channel we're watching to something else for my wife to watch while I'm gone, so we can both watch the halftime show together. I get back, and bring up channel 506, and then attempt to rewind to that point, but it will only let me go back 30 minutes... to the very end of the halftime show... It lost the entire first half, AND THE HALFTIME SHOW (GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE)... The recording status says it's supposed to be recording the entire 5-9 period, but if I hit pause, it only shows a green "recorded" bar of 30 minutes, and it appears to be rolling...

Did I do something wrong, or there something wrong with my DVR?

Either way, if I missed the halftime show, I gonna be really ticked off...  :Shoot:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

picopir8

Does it show up in your recorded show list?

Tom Snyder

Yeah... and actually, once the game was over,  I was able to go back and see the whole thing on my "list." I fast forwarded to the half time show... Hooray!  

But while it as on, I could never go more than 30 minutes back, despite the fact that the whole thing was recorded.  Just wierd... :eek:
Tom Snyder

rawoodwi

I have noticed a lot of issues like that, to the point where I have given up watching shows and recording them at the same time ( other than just pausing on the fly)

I came to the conclusion that the HD PVR can only cope with a half hour buffer, even when recording the whole thing in the background.  

I also have the SD PVR and it does the same thing but will store 1 1/2 hours on the fly.

Just for the record I reboot my HD PVR every couple of days, if I don't the pixelation and sound drop outs appear and get steadily worse.

Samsung 36" HDTV
TWC (HD and SD PVR)
ONKYO amp

picopir8

Hows this for weird.  Last week I was watching a show on InHD (some volcano show which I turned on because it looked pretty then stayed because it was kinda interesting).  Anyway, there was only about 15 minutes left in the show but I was getting tired so I decided to record the rest and watch it later.  The second I hit record, the 30 minute buffer expanded to give me access to the entire show. The entire show also appeared in my "list" instead of just the remaining 15 minutes.  Its almost the exact opposit of what Tom experienced.

summerfun

When you are recording it is different than watching the buffer.

Your DVR was recording 506 just the way you asked it to, but when you came home and tryed to watch the buffer, it only has a limited amount of recorded time.

The actually recording to the hard drive should be all there.

To picopir8's point, you can hit record at anytime during a show and it will start the recording from the beginning of that show as long as you have been on that channel the whole show. Otherwise it will just go back to when you first switched to that channel.

MathWiz579

Tom,

For future situations you may want to try going to the list of recorded programs and selecting the show you wish to watch that is still recording instead of going back to the channel.  I'm not 100% sure that this works, but I think I did it once and it was successful.

summerfun

Quote from: MathWiz579Tom,

For future situations you may want to try going to the list of recorded programs and selecting the show you wish to watch that is still recording instead of going back to the channel.  I'm not 100% sure that this works, but I think I did it once and it was successful.
That does work. Many times I will start watching a show scheduled to record after it has started recording by going to the list and hitting play. It will start from the beginning.

Sometimes it does not work. It may have something to do with the buffer. If that happens. I will tell it to stop recording right now. Then start again right now. That saves what has already been recorded as a complete program in the list to be watched. Go to the list and hit play. When you are done, the second half has completed so you can watch it from the list.

Tom Snyder

I've actually done that and permanently lost what had been recorded up to that point.  :Smash:
Tom Snyder