• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Pioneer 3510HD DVI-D connection

Started by djbrain, Wednesday Jan 05, 2005, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djbrain

Has anyone had any success with this type of hookup? I know TWC says they do not provide support for this type of hookup (but they will in the near future... They say half work, half do not at this point?).

I received a 30" Olevia LCD as a gift. It has a DVI-I input. I tried component hookup, and S Video. The S Video looks better than the component. I'm wondering if the DVI hookup will is a better connection.

Also, any thoughts on how to hook everything up?

I have my Sony DVD player hooked up to the Component In (YPbPr) and the Pioneer 3510 connected via S Video. My Tv also has the DVI-I in, and another Component in which is listed as (YCbCr).

Thanks!

Gregg Lengling

There is definitely something wrong if S-Video looks better than Component....something isn't right.  Go into the setup on the TWC box and go to the more settings menu and check the output types you have, you should have them all active to get all resolutions....it'll show 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.  I've got a number of TWC boxes, regular, HD and HD-DVR and feed some displays that can't handle all the outputs, I found if you set it to 1080i for anything HD ready you'll have the best results, if you have something that is only ED ready the 480i works best (sometimes 480p also works).
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

djbrain

You can select all of them at the same time? I set it to 1080i (with a dot next to it).

How can you select all of them?
Thanks Gregg!

Gregg Lengling

Just hit enter on each one and you'll have a dot next to each one and it will output the native resolution that the program is in.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

djbrain

Great! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. Any thought on the DVI connection???

Gregg Lengling

I've not used it on that box as I'm using distribution amps to feed about 90 different displays so I use all component outputs.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Paul S.

DVI has worked on mine for over a year now.

djbrain

the cable box is a DVI-D out and my TV is a DVI-I in. Can I just buy a DVI-D (on both ends) cable?

Thanks again!

Paul S.

Yes. If that doesn't work, return it and and get the other one!

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
Yes. If that doesn't work, return it and and get the other one!
I disaggree with Paul.  Unlike component, DVI is a two-way communication path and is driver sensitive. What works for Paul may not work for you and your hardware.
Put your DVD player on Y/C for now and use the component input for HD cable.
For starters, check only one of the video output formats on the set top that your monitor will accept at its component input (1080i or 720p). If you know the native display format of your monitor, it would be best to set it to that...
Once you get a decent picture, you can add output formats as desired. However, I would recommend you leave things alone and simply let the set top do the conversions. Selecting more output formats than one simply adds more delay in your surfing, as the TV will have to adjust itself to different input formats as you switch from channel to channel.
If pictures are still "bad", first make sure you are using good component cables and then get a new Pioneer box.
Good luck!

linuxworxorg

The best option for you output format is to select all the options, have the all checked. That is have all of them checked up to the max input resolution of your TV. If you don't the output will not be correct. Yes, by doint this your TV will have to auto adjust when the format changes, its better than having to grab a remote to change the format. It also will provide the best picture.

Gregg Lengling

QuoteOriginally posted by linuxworxorg
The best option for you output format is to select all the options, have the all checked. That is have all of them checked up to the max input resolution of your TV. If you don't the output will not be correct. Yes, by doint this your TV will have to auto adjust when the format changes, its better than having to grab a remote to change the format. It also will provide the best picture.

Warning if you have a Panasonic unit....make sure you are using HDMI or DVI connections, if you do this using component connections you will have problems as the Panasonic models will not accept a 720p input via the component connections.  I know seems strange seeing as they are native 720p units, but it is true as I spent 1/2 of a day figuring out this problem.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

George99

Been watching this thread and need some clarification.  The TWC Pioneer 3510 box can output several hdtv formats... 1080i, 720p, etc. Most hdtvs can accept and convert most of these formats. I understand that by checking all the formats of TWC Pio box (as recommended here in this thread) will allow the TWC box to allow any of the outputs depending on source material. But why would you want to do that?

Isn't it true that most hdtv monitors operate best in their native mode?  For example my LCD TV is 720p native. If it receives a 1080i signal it converts to 720p. Maybe it does a good job, maybe not. But if I restrict the Pio box to 720p, my TV does not need to do a conversion... the TWC box does it. So all my channels are output to my TV as 720p if I use that setting. So why would you use another setting?  Are there some hdtv monitors that won't convert properly? Or is it a question of where do you want to do the conversion, box or TV?

FWIW, my LCD TV seems to have a slightly better picture when receiving 720p (its native format) from Pio box, on an 1080i signal.