• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Modix HD-3510

Started by kjnorman, Wednesday Jan 05, 2005, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnorman

I just came across this device from a Tom's Hardware review:

Modix HD-3510 review

It is an external USB2.0 enclosure that can accept upto 2TB hard drives (obviously 400 GB is the current maximum), but it is also a mediaplayer that is able to playback and scale to 1080i HDTV resolution.  

The idea is that you can rip your DVDs to it, or copy recorded HDTV material over the USB2 interface (perhaps recorded using a PC tuner card or pulled from a HD Tivo (ala Borghe)) and are able to play it back on your HDTV without using the computer.

I would love to get one but the current $230 street price for the enclosure and $330 for a 400GB harddrive make this proposition distinct wife unfriendly, so alas I won't.  

However I could certainly think of a few of you out their that might jump for this (borghe rings a bell again...? :D )

The only drawback I see at the moment is that you need special cables to get the component and optical sound out of the device and I have not seen any sites selling these yet, but more information can also be found here.

Kerry

StarvingForHDTV

Hi Kerry,

That thing looks pretty slick.  I'm in the market for a portable hard drive.  I want to be able to put all of my CDs on a unit in a uncompressed or lossless format and be able to access them via audio in jack on the car stereo and audio in or digital audio in on the home stereo.  So far the iPods and stuff are still small capacities.  400 GB would do it for my music collection.  I don't know if this is an ideal solution for me, but it is interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion.