• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

tv out from pc to big screen tv...

Started by xsqsme, Tuesday Dec 28, 2004, 08:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsqsme

I just hooked my dell 8400, with dells' standard ati radeon x300 video card, to my samsung 4663 tv...and the display is awesome on the tv...our tv is 25' from the computer, so we got a ms bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and can perform all computer functions on tv, and still watch tv at same time with pip. Dell's video card has dvi output and standard vga output...used the standard vga output to regular computer monitor, and dvi-a to vga adaptor off video card, for vga cable to tv. Gaming is incredible on 46' monitor, and browsing, word processing, and other functions work great.

StarvingForHDTV

Nice.  Do you have a LCD or DLP or D-ILA or CRT display?  What resolution are you at?

I failed with a ATI Radeon 9500 Pro with component video adapter to CRT RPTV at 1080i  It looked awful.  At 480p I eliminated the refresh rate type flicker but that's too low of a resolution to be useful in my opinion.

I would think 720p or 1080p fixed pixel displays would be the key.  Maybe that's what you have.

xsqsme

...Out  tv monitor is a DLP, (samsung 4663) at 1080i, computer is set at 800x600 and looks awesome on tv in wide screen and equally as clear at 4:3. Running video card @1024x768 causes overscan.  Te VGA input on tv makes this connection easy.

StarvingForHDTV

Have you tried running your computer at the Samsung's native resolution of 1280 X 720?

xsqsme

The 1280 x 720 overscans on tv monitor...I didn't bother trying to adjust pic on tv, because the 800x 600 resolution is cystal clear on it...and fits wonderfully...

tazman

I had the same problem with over scan at 1280x720p until I downloaded and installed Powerstrip.  Fantastic driver software.  Supports virtualy every card under the sun.  You can resize, adjust position, custom timming frequencies, you name it.  It solved my overscan problem and a problem I had with not being able get enough horizotal shift out of my RCA RGB to YPP transcoder box.  here is the link to it.  http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm  :D

StarvingForHDTV

Interesting.  I wonder why they would overscan fixed pixel displays?  Strange.

As long as it works, that's all that matters.  I have heard good things about Powerstrip.

tazman

Apparently It's an issue with about every make of set out there.  At least from what I read in the posts on entech's forum pages.:)

StarvingForHDTV

That is very strange.  Surely the flat panel LCDs and Plasmas don't suffer the same fate, do they?  I know my LCD computer monitor is 1280 X 1024 and when I run my resolution at that level it fits perfectly on the screen.  I would have thought this would be the case with LCD, DLP, D-ILA projection sets too.  Shows what I know....