News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Make a VCR copy from TWC HD DVR

Started by summerfun, Saturday Dec 04, 2004, 05:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerfun

I know we have all been talking about these since they came out but I have not paid much attention to the discussion about the "live" output choices. I know the DVI output is still not live, but how about the composite or the S-video or RF cable?

I tried to hook my VCR up to those outputs to copy a movie I had recorded on the DVR, but get no output signal.

Any other ideas of how to record something off the DVR onto a VCR?

PS (I know it won't be HD) I just want to save the program.

Gregg Lengling

You should be able to, I'm thinking maybe you haven't energized those outputs because you have the digital or component port energized.  It could be that you can only have one running at a time.  A lot of older boxes did that, for instance my Sony SAT-HD200 receiver only outputs on the selected output, whereas the newer Sony SAT-HD300 outputs on all 4 ports at once.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

RS922

You can change the output mode of the box from HD to SD mode (Press "Channel Up" and hold, then press "Volume -"). You would then have to run a video cable from the "video out Y/V" connector to a VCR or other recorder. You will get HD content downconverted (16 x 9) with grey bars on the top and bottom of the screen, but you can record it. The RF output is active during SD mode as well, but quality is not as great.

Since the last software download (late August), the box will revert to HD output mode after each power on, so just turn off and back on after recabling the Y/V connector to get the connection restored to the HD monitor after recording.

summerfun

Thanks for the post. I see someone else asked the exact same question today. How strange is that.

I was at the TWC office in Mayfare mall today. WOW, is that nice. A great improvement over the old kiosk.

Some guy was there returning his DVR because it did not have an active DVI port. He went with the regular HD box that does have the active DVI port. This is his first HDTV and first STB.

What a shame. He has never had DVR and did not know what it was. I tried to explain to him what he would be loosing. I told him that all he had to do was use the component cables, but his son had told him to return it if they could not make the DVI active because DVI was the only way to go!!!

So much bad and mis information out there. It's a shame.

summerfun

Just gave it a shot and here is what I found.

By activating the SD mode, it deactivate the HD video composite output, but left the HD component audio and the digital audio active.

It activated the S-video and the RF coax for an SD signal.

It DID NOT activate the component video or component audio jacks. (different jacks than the HD component audio jacks that were left active)

Interesting.

I used the RF as my VCR did not have an S-video input.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
By activating the SD mode, it deactivate the HD video composite output, but left the HD component audio and the digital audio active.

It DID NOT activate the component video or component audio jacks. (different jacks than the HD component audio jacks that were left active)
I think you have your wires crossed (pun intended). HD uses 'component' video out. SD uses 'composite' video out. I never heard of HD composite before...
I think the green HD component jack doubles as the SD composite out (It's function changes with the mode). In the SD mode, RY & BY component jacks are inactive. So you should be able to feed your VCR with the green component jack whilst in the SD environment and avoid RF altogether.

I think both the base band (Left & Right) and digital outputs are always active, regardless of the operational mode.

summerfun

Your absolutely right, I know the difference, just a typo.

Thanks on the heads up about the green being the "composite" video out during SD mode. That will help next time.

I found that the audio outs did not change at all.

Snard

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
Just gave it a shot and here is what I found.

Interesting.

I used the RF as my VCR did not have an S-video input.

Thanks for the heads up on S-video output. I had previously heard that this output was not active in SD mode.

I will try recording the S-video output via my computer's capture card, to see how it does (on a digital cable channel that my tuner card can't access)
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!