• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung SDI Develops Ultra-Thin CRT

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Nov 20, 2004, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Samsung SDI Co. has developed the world's thinnest cathode-ray tubes for TVs, overcoming one of CRT's weakest points. A CRT can provide higher-resolution images than that offered by a liquid-crystal display at one-third the price. But the thickness of a CRT has been a major drawback. Other distinctions between the technologies include weight, heat dissipation and total power draw all in favor of the LCD.

The new CRT display, dubbed 'Vixlim' for 32-inch digital TVs, is only 13.8 inches thick-almost half the 19 to 24 inches of traditional CRTs.

The South Korean firm plans to start production and shipments of the new CRTs toward the end of this year. The new picture tube is certain to drive down LCD prices, adding fuel to competition in flat-panel TVs among companies in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, an industry observer said.

While an LCD is about 4 inches thick on average, and still slimmer than the recently developed CRT, the new tube is only as thick as a DVD player or VCR. According to Samsung SDI, there is no need to invest in new production facilities for CRTs since the company can use existing production lines to produce the unit. This factor then allows TV makers to commercialize a 32-inch CRT television at a cost of $1,000 each - less than one-third the price of an LCD-TV of the same size, currently shipping at more than $3,000.

The new tube's brightness and viewing angles are about the same as those of current CRTs. Samsung SDI is the world's largest CRT maker producing 62 million units last year. They hope to adopt the thin-type CRTs for all personal computers and other electronic products by the end of 2006.

A special team, set up in 2000 within the firm to pursue CRT development, has achieved a breakthrough by developing electron beam deflection technology and special lenses. While Samsung SDI produces CRTs and plasma-display panels, a core firm of the Samsung group, Samsung Electronics Co., is a major maker of TVs and LCD panels. These are both competing to benefit from the popularity of flat-panel TVs.

The development of the new CRT is likely to restore Samsung's position as a major rival of LCD-TVs. Although retail prices of 32-inch LCD-TVs have been declining at an annual rate of more than 20%, the growth of thin CRTs will put added downward pressure on prices of LCD-TVs, said an industry observer.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

tazman

I personaly have not seen one direct view CRT HD set that impressed me.  Every RPJ HD set, whether it be CRT,LCD or DLP of larger sizes than what are available in direct view CRT's have a much sharper picture of higher detail than any direct view CRT's I've seen.  In my opion untill they reduce the dot pitch of the direct views to something closer to what is used in computer monitor's, they won't make an impression on me at least.